Thread: Lens touch up paint?

Angry Lens touch up paint?

I recently just got a new strap/sling for my camera, a Black Rapid Cross Shot. The thing is great, it's comfortable, and it functions perfectly. I sling it so the camera rests at my hip, right where my hand naturally falls on the grip. No issues with it at all.

The issue I do have though, is that I also carry a knife clipped to my pocket. It's a metal clip, and it happens to be level with where my new 100-400L II rests. Just went on a little adventure downtown, and I sat down to take a break and I noticed that my walking combined with the lens resting on my hip has marred up the side some. It's not too severe, but it's enough to bug me.

I've included a picture below. I understand that, according to Bryan at least, Canon no longer ships their official touch up paint to the U.S. I was wondering if there is a substitute available. Or perhaps, if I sent it back to Canon for a cleaning or something they would touch up the paint while it was there if I asked nicely. Any information is welcome, thank you.

Not sure what type of paint would work for you Dave. Sorry. Just had to throw in a comment that maybe I'd carry the knife on the other pocket. Nice lens by the way!

The knife stays. I've carried a knife in the same spot for about a decade now, to the point I feel naked without one. I'd rather switch the sling to the other side and get used to drawing the camera across my body.

Get a Lenscoat neoprene cover to prevent future damage after you repair it

The last time I called Canon to ask about the touch-up paint the USA Rep told me that the paint is now classified as a "hazardous substance" and can't be shipped by normal means (USPS/UPS/FedEX, etc). The representative said that other Canon branches may not have the same restrictions, but she was unsure which (if any) would actually to sell a bottle to an end user.

Checking my email log, that conversation was in 2012. I don't know if anything's changed since then. I know that there are vendors that sell knock-off touch-up paints on eBay, but from what I've seen, it's the older L-lens white (it's a bit warmer in color).

Sean is partially right. You can get it - but, it's gonna cost you. The official part number is # CY9-8078-001. At least according to this website - I'm not sure how trustworthy they are! However, believe it or not you can get it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-White-To...s=CY9-8078-001 So they got it here somehow, looks like it flew first class to me! (that link was a click through from here - but I don't know if the "give TDP a % stuck or not!)

Maybe Sean could verify if this is the newer or older white.

Of course, you can try the eBay stuff - some people say it's great - but I think there's a huge potential they're all color blind.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...paint&_sacat=0 I'd probably go with Sean on it being the beige color.
    Last edited by Anthony M; 06-14-2015 at 06:46 AM.