Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tamron 150-600 and wildlife photography

Quote Originally Posted by jamsus View Post
    I'm very ignorant in merit of big lenses, do you need a particular "Rail" for the tripod head to keep the 100-400 on it?

I got a ball-head which is ok for the weight, but i don't know if the tripod collar (is this the right name in english?) can be attacched on it!
    We decided to go with the "Arca-Swiss" style of plates and clamps. A few tripod head brands use proprietary plates/clamps, and I felt that going with a standard (Arca-Swiss is used by several manufacturers) meant we'd have brand flexibility into the future. We have a mix of Markins ballheads, RRS monopod heads, Wimberley Gimbal Head, Wimberley camera and lens plates, RRS L-shaped plates on some cameras, RRS tripod, Manfrotto tripod, RRS monopods, fplate floor plate, and several RRS clamps, all of which work together. Admittedly it's EXPENSIVE when you add it all up, but the versatility is worthwhile to us.

On a related note, when we switched to the BlackRapid camera straps, I bought several RRS B2-FABN clamps and semi-permanently attached them to BlackRapid "FastenRs". To use any of our BR straps, we slide the clamp onto the camera or lens bracket/plate, tighten, and go. We find this to be much quicker than screwing/unscrewing the FastenR between every device, AND less risky, and we don't need to remove the lens plate to be able to carry the lens from its foot.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Good....so you can use an Arca Swiss compatible lens plate such as a Wimberly P40

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ase_Plate.html#!

Thank you everyone for you replies

At this point i'm just to excited to play with the new lens
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

I got it today... and i immediately went out for some test!

I got some birds but those are the three "first" pictures that satisfied me really a lot.

The lens is hellishsly sharp, maybe i'm not an abituee to this quality but... my 60D is giving me the high five for such a beatiful companion.

Thank you everyone of you for your suggestions.

Butterfly, Nature
    by Andrea Magnelli, su Flickr

Aricia agestis, i think!

Bzzz and... his dinner!

Jamsus

Bump this one for asking some advice:

For shooting "STILL" subjects (birds in pose mainly), is the Canon 1.4x Teleconverter with 100-400 L II on the 60D a suggested accessory? I would like just to have some extra focal range sometimes, not pretending "magic" on autofocus.

Is this a viable solution?

Jamsus

The 1.4x TC will make the 400 mm f/5.6 equivalent to 560 mm f/8. From what I have seen, the 100-400 II takes the 1.4xTC very well from an optical standpoint. But, the trick is will the 60D autofocus at f/8? I do not believe the 60D will autofocus at f/8 with the Canon 1.4xTC. But I have heard that it might AF with the Kenko 1.4xTC (which fools the system).

Unless others know for sure, I would try the Kenko, but make sure you can return it in case it does not AF.

The F/8 autofocus limitation... that's phase detect only, right? Live-view contrast detect AF should work regardless of F, I think, but I haven't tried (I don't own any extenders, or lenses that accept them). Just to confuse things further, don't the 70D/7D2 have some sort of phase-detect in live-view for Movie Servo mode? I wonder what happens on those bodies?
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

It will not auto focus at f/8 (phase detect), but I would assume it will in live view because my 7D (Mark I) did and it was an older camera than the 60D. Best to check the manual though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Thank you everyone guys, i received a bad advice from a friend of mine and i would also ask about this extender here! Unlucky i'm in a period where work occupies 90% of my "awake-week" so i got no strenght to read out the internet\the manuals!

Mmm at this point maybe i will go on the Kenko extender but... i can also stay with the 100-400 II clean

Let's see and thank you again

Jamsus