Thread: Range: 11-840mm

Range: 11-840mm

As part of our recent Alaska cruise, I took some time to chronicle the massive range from 11mm to 840mm.

Start here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/alibea...7652539474358/

Arrow right, and you'll see a progression across 4 lenses plus a teleconverter. Enjoy!

(Side note: in the interest of "guaranteed" sequencing, I actually mounted the 100 Macro, took a shot of the lens, then removed the 100 Macro, attached the lens, went to the shooting position, and shot it. That way, all of the shots were on the same camera and they were guaranteed to appear in sequence. Next time I plan to use two cameras, one for the documentary shot of each lens, and one to simply do the target shooting. I'll also use a tripod, aimed using the 840 then do the series. If I can juggle it all, I may also swap in the 7D2 at the end to get the APS-C perspective.)
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Very cool! I also took the liberty of exploring the rest of your trip album... it looks like a terrific voyage (not to mention some very fine eating!). Thanks for sharing.

+1.....very cool indeed.

Nice work. Looks like awesome cuisine. How did you like the trip overall?
    Mark - Flickr

Lots of options in there. Hope you can enjoy the upcoming cruise without putting on too many pounds!

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    Nice work. Looks like awesome cuisine. How did you like the trip overall?
    The trip met our expectations. It was a "non-standard" itinerary, done to "please" the US Government (Look up PVSA if you're curious). We knew going into the trip that it was going to be 3-4 hours in the car driving to Vancouver (my folks drove us), then ~36 hours aboard the ship to get to Ketchikan, 9 hours in Ketchikan, then ~36 hours aboard the ship to get to Seattle, and we're done. It was exactly that. We took an "upsell" offer to try out a suite, and honestly we may have enjoyed the private breakfast for suite passengers more than anything else. That said, there was only one stop, and no glacier viewing, so a very limited trip.

Honestly, we took the trip for loyalty points. 5 points and you get priority boarding (and other perks) for life, and this cruise got us #4. Turns out that paying (upsell or full rate) for a suite counts double, so this cruise was also point #5. We're going to do a "normal" cruise in August (hence my other recent thread) and a one-nighter in September (again, see PVSA - Seattle to Vancouver or the opposite is very common for us) to keep the points rolling.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Lots of options in there. Hope you can enjoy the upcoming cruise without putting on too many pounds!
    Some discipline is definitely required. However, carrying that 600 does burn a bit of it off.

From the looks of things, you ate well. :-D

So...I don't tell the story in too many places, but you'll all appreciate this. We did a 4.5 hour tour from Ketchikan to Misty Fjords by boat. I was obvious as heck anywhere I went. Coming back aboard the ship, we head to the central elevators, and my wife gets into an elevator that just didn't seem to have enough room for me, myself, and my 600. I stepped back, and as I was reaching to call another elevator, the Maitre D' Hotel says hello, asks about our tour, and then asks where we were having dinner for the night. That afternoon, I figured out who he was from the org chart, and we tracked him down after dinner. He invited us to his office, and we spent 20-30 minutes sharing our pictures from our 2014 cruise. Afterwards, he invited us to enjoy dinner the following night in the Italian specialty restaurant, "his treat". That's what all of the pictures cover towards the end...I'm sure the service is usually good there, but service was fantastic for us that night.

We've kept in touch with him, sent him a 6xDVD set of all of our Alaska cruise photos and (time-lapse) videos, and will be returning for another 7-day cruise on the ship this August for our fifth anniversary.