Thread: what lens to use

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    As a bit of a followup to Kayaker's post.

...but the focal length choice will affect the background. That's another plane in this image, so the focal length does matter.

Go wide, and drop low, and you can perhaps remove the fence from the shot... but you may end up distorting the image in a way you don't find appealing.

Go tele and you'll perhaps emphasize the fence. It will get bigger due to telephoto angle of view, and you'll be bringing it more into the frame as you shoot progressively flatter angles due to the increased distance... but the subjects may look better with a telephoto.

As you go more tele, the background will blur more, despite the increased distance. You can see this in graph form here (howmuchblur.com) . This shows the blur (as percent of frame vs. distance past subject) you'd get framing a 5m subject with 24, 50, 100, and 200 mm f/2.8 lenses.

So question becomes, can you go tele enough that the fence is blurred enough to not be distracting? Can you go wide enough that the fence is removed from view without ruining the shot due to low perspective and wide angle distortion? Personally, I prefer the tele look for anything with people in it.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

here are my two cents worth I would have gotten closer & used wider perspective. 2 reasons fence becomes much smaller background item. Preferably I would have elevated the camera position slightly. More help with background control. And everyone looks better when we arent looking up their nose. Even horses
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911