Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "The photographer with the better gear will take the better images" - Opinions?

Re: "The photographer with the better gear will take the better images" - Opinions?

Thanks - I enjoyed reading this.

Equipment matters, but talent is necessary. If it wasn't, then people wouldn't be getting paid thousands of dollars to press bottons and point cameras all day.

Re: "The photographer with the better gear will take the better images" - Opinions?

A layman sees gear--a photographer sees the creative possibilities his gear enables him to make beyond that of a snapshot.

Quote Originally Posted by SRPHOTO

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Use what you got, get good with it. Develop a style and just be you.

People will seek out your style, not your gear.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Spot on.

I find both Keith's original statement, and SRPHOTO's assessment that it is spot on, to be spot on.

That said, I do think you need specific gear to take specific kind of pictures. When I bought my first macro lens (before that I had a kit lens on my rebel xt), my friend said "you dummy, why did you buy that? Don't you know that it is the photographer that makes the picture, not the lens?" Well, I wanted to take macro pictures. I wasn't going to take *better* pictures, but I was going to get to do a new kind of photography. (And, in case anyone is wondering, I don't regret getting the lens [])

I believe that it is mostly true that the better photographer will take better pictures. When I buy a new lens, it isn't because I think I'll be able to take better pictures with it, but new kinds of pictures.

In short, I agree with the statement. But still, I like to buy lenses [H]

Every photo is the result of a combination of many factors. Some of those factors are:

• Hard work
    • Skill/knowledge
    • Talent
    • Inspiration
    • Experience
    • Luck
    • Gear

Gear is always one of those factors. Whether it's a large factor or minor factor depends on the individual circumstances.

Sometimes the gear is incapable or ill-suited for a certain shot. If one concentrates on the only shots that *are* possible, it might seem as if gear was not a limitation, but in fact it is.

I make plans for how my shots will be changed by the next opportunity to add gear. In the mean time, I am content with what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Quote Originally Posted by SRPHOTO

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Use what you got, get good with it. Develop a style and just be you.

People will seek out your style, not your gear.

Spot on.

I find both Keith's original statement, and SRPHOTO's assessment that it is spot on, to be spot on.

That said, I do think you need specific gear to take specific kind of pictures. When I bought my first macro lens (before that I had a kit lens on my rebel xt), my friend said "you dummy, why did you buy that? Don't you know that it is the photographer that makes the picture, not the lens?" Well, I wanted to take macro pictures. I wasn't going to take *better* pictures, but I was going to get to do a new kind of photography. (And, in case anyone is wondering, I don't regret getting the lens [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img])

I believe that it is mostly true that the better photographer will take better pictures. When I buy a new lens, it isn't because I think I'll be able to take better pictures with it, but new kinds of pictures.

In short, I agree with the statement. But still, I like to buy lenses [img]/emoticons/emotion-11.gif[/img]

Yeah, I love to buy lenses too.

One of my first paid jobs was for an interior designer. It was actually a paid audition. She hired 2 different photogs for the job and who's ever work she liked the best she'd use again.

I had a 40D, 24 1.4 L, 50 1.4, Fish 15 2.8 and the 28-135 kit lens. I told my buddy about the job an he insisted on loaning me the his 17-40 4.0 L. I told him it wasn't necessary but I ended up taking it anyway and man am I glad I did. I used that for just about every shot. The designer loved my work and I won the role.

At that point I was bent on getting a full frame so that my 24 would truly be a 24 because the 17 was actually a 27 on the 40D. So I belive the 5D2 was a necessity for me to develop the style I felt fit me. I also now have the 16-35 2.8L II So I feel my style is kind of dialed in now. I got rid of the 28-135 and have the 100-400 L mainly just to have a lens in that range for fun and just to be sure. I don't plan on making a living in that range.

So I agree about the right gear. But I think a good place to start is with lower end stuff so you don't waste a ton of money finding you style. Buy the Xts, Xsi, 40Ds, 50Ds with kit lenses shoot til you drop. Look at the pics that really work for you, see what range you are shooting then start saving for the higher end equipment in that range. Or if you are getting the quality you want out of the stuff you got stick with it.

While you guys are more concerned about cameras and lenses, I'm more concerned with lighting gear. I'm still developing my style, but this from an excellent shoot I had Friday evening.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_4263-small.JPG[/img]

And that look wouldn't have been possible without a hefty amount of portable gear:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_4287_5F00_setup-small.JPG[/img]

The gear was necessary to get the shot I wanted, but knowing how to use the gear made all the difference.

strobist: 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera right, full power in a Westcott 28&amp;quot; Apollo softbox. 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera left, 1/4 power, bounced off of a white door and frame for fill. 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera left behind subject, 1/4 power, shot through a 1/8&amp;quot; Honl Speed Grid for rimlight. Triggered via Cybersyncs and a Wein Peanut optical slave.

Cool, Sean.

I've never bought lighting (other than a flash.) I've thought about it, but am not really sure where to begin. What exactly is all that stuff?

Personally I think that both make a difference. Good equipment gives one the possibility of taking a good photograph, but skill in the photographer is needed to execute it. A balance is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Cool, Sean.

I've never bought lighting (other than a flash.) I've thought about it, but am not really sure where to begin. What exactly is all that stuff?

I'll tell you where to begin--www.strobist.blogspot.com and the Lighting 101 section. Then join the strobist.com flickr community and stroll the discussion threads.

Westcott Apollo Softbox

Honl 1/8" Speed Grid

Cybersyncs

Wein Optical Peanut slave

Plus flashes, light stands, umbrella swivels, hotshoe adapters (to connect the flash to the Cybersync wireless receivers), and sandbags to secure the softbox from the wind.

Thanks... that's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for.