Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are ballheads all the rage?

Why are ballheads all the rage?

I'm getting ready to "graduate" into serious tripod territory: I've got a RRS TVC-34L in my shopping cart, with a variety of accessories that may or may not be necessary but I consider useful. I'm not ready to buy another ballhead now, but since RRS offers package discount pricing for head&legs, I'm debating the combo.

That said, I'm fully intending to get a leveling base for the tripod legs, so that I can clamp on a gimbal head and know that I'm panning atop a level plane. As I think about this for ballheads, I keep asking myself: if the ballhead is atop a leveled base and has a specific knob to control the panning base, do I really need a BALL head, or would it make more sense to put together a panning base and a monopod head, effectively creating a pan/tilt head or a true two-axis (not three-axis) head? (Note that I rarely do "artsy" tilted shots; my objective is near always to have a level shot.)
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I suppose that they are light and compact. Don't use them myself. Find the Manfrotto 410 to be far superior for me. Far easier to achieve fine adjustments, more stable, less expensive than high end ball heads. A bit bigger and heavier but worth it to me.

Just thought I should add that I sold off my Arca Swiss and other ball head due to lack of use after getting the 410.
    Last edited by jrw; 07-09-2015 at 09:47 PM.

Oh I can't imagine shooting landscapes with anything but a ball head. And the RRS head is the cream of the crop (priced accordingly, to be sure). You can quickly compose the image in all three axes (pan, tilt, swivel), then lock it down firmly with a twist of a single knob. You can also dial in some resistance with a separate knob, so when you unlock the main knob you still have a bit of friction if you so desire (nice for heavy lenses). The ball head is especially brilliant when it's cold and dark outside, and you're working with a flashlight and big mitts.

I also have the TVC-34L (love it), and got a leveling base with the long knob that includes a hook. When I shoot with the 500 f/4, I use their side-mount gimbal setup instead of the ball head. I have the quick-release base for the ball head, so I can pop it off and attach the gimbal system in a snap. So basically I bought the fanciest system that they offer, but it works so well I am now spoiled for life.

Anyhow, everyone's needs are different, so you can definitely try out the setup you're describing and see how it goes. But for me, there's no going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Oh I can't imagine shooting landscapes with anything but a ball head.
    ^^^^ This

My quick take, but they may be all the rage now because most cameras come with internal levels. At least, that is how I shoot, I loosen my ballhead and switch to the electronic level on my 5DIII and set up the shot as I would like. Then I tighten the ballhead and I am all set. For most of my applications, that is all I need.

The only issue I sometimes run into with that method is if I want to pan. Not that it is that big of a deal. But, fortunately, there is a small bubble level on top of my Markins Q3T. So, for panning shots, I level the platform and then pan as needed. While maybe not perfect, it has worked pretty well thus far. And, similar with most things, shoot until you need something. Thus far, I haven't really needed anything else.

But I would be curious how other people do it.

Remembered that I was considering this as an option before deciding against tripod levelling all of the time. A little more compact than my choice while being more robust with a better locking mechanism than typical monopod tilt bases.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...AMIC_HEAD.html

Congratulations on the RRS. I've never heard of anybody sorry they bought one.

I actually never liked ball heads for years - decades actually. Perhaps it was because they didn't really exist when I first started. And I got really used to using a 3-way pan & tilt head in the studio. When I started getting back into photography and digital, my wife bought me a more manageable sized Manfrotto tripod and a manfrotto ball head for a Christmas gift. I tried using that thing, and never liked it. For years. I'd take it along for travel and things like that, but preferred my Bogen 3030 that I'd had for ages.

Then one day I got a Kirk and it was an epiphany. Now I can't imagine anything else for just straight photography. I haven't touched my 3-way in years and years. Of course there's many variations of ball heads, and I've really only used the more standard type of design. I've got a variety of clamps and a leveler - which I use for the ball head, pano and even for my fluid video head.

Anyway, the flexibility and easy of setup and placement is just second to none. I would go nuts trying to use my tilt head (which does pan) even on a leveling base. Just cumbersome. I think once you start to use one - especially something like the BH-40 - you'll never go back.

Of course, RRS is the Bentley of ball heads and tripods. I've wanted to stop by the factory when I'm driving through SLO (which happens a few times a year), but it seems every time I wind up there on a Sunday. With the Wife in tow - it would be a lot easier to get one with the right salesperson! She likes jewelery, and the RRS stuff certainly is that...

I have nearly the same setup as Jonathan (TVC-33, long-handle leveling base with clamp, BH-55 LR and the PG-02 LLR side gimbal for my 600 II).

I can see the idea of a panning base + monopod head, but there are some possible issues. First, if you ever shoot in portrait orientation you'd need an L-bracket because you'd lose the drop notch feature of a ballhead. I use an L-bracket anyway, but I do like the 1D X's modular bracket from RRS, and on the few occasions when I've forgotten the upright portion at home, the drop notch was a life saver. The second issue is that most monopod tilt heads are designed for collared lenses, so mounting a camera plate (when using a non-collared lens) puts the tilt in the roll direction instead of the pitch direction where you want it. Some can be switched, but sometimes that requires tools. The RRS MH-02 LR can be switched without tools, but if you frequently swap between collared and non collared lenses that might not be optimal. Third, most tilt heads do not have adjustable friction for the tilt, whereas better ballheads have a tension knob that you can adjust for the load and makes precise positioning easier. I think a ballhead would be the better choice.

Thanks all for the insights. I guess my brain started going into overdrive after shooting fireworks on July 4th. I had the camera on a low tripod sitting on a dock by the lake, and got a great reflection off the water. However, I'm left to wonder if every shot is a little tilted. If I had a leveling base and a monopod head, poof it's level.

Neuro, good points about the monopod head. I have two MH-02 Pro (screw clamp version) heads, so I've got the pivot covered. My 1Dxes never leave home without the whole L-bracket.

Can't say I've made up my mind yet. Part of me feels bad that I'm even shopping for a new tripod, as I'm basically handing our existing Manfrotto 055CXPro/4 legs and Markins Q3 to my wife as a hand-me-down after she got it for me one Christmas (though she now wants an 11-24/4 and will be handing "down" her 14/2.8II to me...).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I like my MH-02 Pro, and would not want a lever clamp on a monopod head. Good thing it's next door to indestructible, as RRS isn't making them any more.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I like my MH-02 Pro, and would not want a lever clamp on a monopod head. Good thing it's next door to indestructible, as RRS isn't making them any more.
    Yep. I made sure to buy the second when that model went on clearance. I laid out a big "planning exercise" to predict my future needs, and determined that two MH-02 Pro heads was sufficient (one for me, one for my wife) - I just can't see carrying two lenses on monopods myself (can't open doors, can't switch shoulders, etc.). Any additional heads (such as for floor plates, on Superclamps, etc.) could easily be screw-clamp MH-01 or MH-02 LR. I didn't think about one getting destroyed...oh well.