Thread: pocketwizards and canon flash-can't wake the flash up

pocketwizards and canon flash-can't wake the flash up

I'm using some FlexTT5s to trigger my 430EXIIs. If I put the flash on the PW hotshoe, the flash stays lit all the time. It doesn't go to sleep.

I've got a cable adapter, made by PW, that allows a mini plug to be connected to the TT5, and the flash sits on the adapter. I make sure the center pin is sitting over the gold dot on the adapter.

However, after the flash goes to sleep, it won't wake up when I try triggering the PW it's plugged into (with a mini PW, or another TT5).

It's only when I have the flash on the PW hot shoe, does the flash remain alive. Actually, it doesn't seem to go to sleep when it's on the PW hot shoe.

If I wake the flash by pushing the pilot, then the PW will trigger it when it's on the cable adapter. As long as the flash is awake, the PW continues to trigger it.

I know I can use the Cfn on the flash to tell it to stay awake all the time.

Am I doing something wrong that I can't wake the flash up?

No I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I don't have the FlexTT5, but use TT1 and PlusIII transceivers. The wizard never woke up the flash for me. I gave up in frustration and turned off the sleepmode on the flash.

For those who don't know how to turn off sleepmode- I made a little tutorial
    http://davebennett.photography/turni...lite-600ex-rt/

Thanks. I think that those other pins on the bottom of the flash must communicate with the camera, or the pocketwizard. Since the cable accessory has only a mini plug, plugged into the pocketwizard, that's probably why the flash can't be wakened.

Like you, I'm just telling the flash to stay awake.