Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Capturing a "Metropolis" - Fisheye

I have a feeling that you are going to have an awesome time whatever you choose to do. Since you aren't going until winter, I can run downtown in Omaha with my 8mm fisheye and 7D and snap a couple of shots just to kid of show you want it will do when it comes to distortion. It is a fun lens but takes a little bit to get use to and adjust to. The focusing is the hardest part. I'll keep you posted when I get a chance.

The suggestion of the canon 10-whatever you would like would be a great option if you were able to get there. I think it may provide you more of an experience. You have to stop down the fisheye quite a bit to get sharp results...i'm thinking f/8+ range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    jamsus,

Great city to photograph. How long will you be there? What type of shots are you trying to get? I was in Paris for work this past March and added a few days with my wife before hand. Using the 5DIII, by far, most of my shots were taken with my general purpose zoom (24-70 II). It was too the point where if you wanted to travel light and take typically tourist photos, you could potentially just walk around with the one lens. My second most used lens was the Rokinon 14 mm f/2.8. This was needed for closer shots of the Arc De Triumph and Eiffel tower. Then a few shots were taken with my 70-200 II. These were mostly from Sacre Couer or top of Montparnasse, trying to zoom in on specific landmarks. But the vast majority were taken with the 24-70 mm.

You might do very well with your general purpose zoom and your 100-400II (only for a few shots). As others have said, you could rent a EFS 10-18 or 10-22. The other lens I would encourage you to consider would be a fast prime for night street photography. I brought my 50 mm prime...but, honestly, never used it. But, I could see a faster prime being useful for night street photography and, potentially, inside cathedrals as I used f/2.8 and pushed my ISO on my 5DIII in those instances.

If you scroll through my flickr account, you will see several of my favorite shots.

Great place....enjoy,
    Brant
    Thank you Brant,

before you write it, i already scrolled some of you pictures

The idea in fact was - General Purpose Lens (18-135) and 35 f2 old, for the cathedral\internal shots! The 100-400 is a bit big for the idea of winter holyday we had! I'll keep it for the 3-4 escursions planned for this winter (i hope Wolves around Belgian barrier and the Sanctuary of Cetaceans here in italy!)

Now i got 4 months to decide if going with a "dramatic" wide angle, which i don't like too much, or a funny fisheye... or none of them :-p
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    I have a feeling that you are going to have an awesome time whatever you choose to do. Since you aren't going until winter, I can run downtown in Omaha with my 8mm fisheye and 7D and snap a couple of shots just to kid of show you want it will do when it comes to distortion. It is a fun lens but takes a little bit to get use to and adjust to. The focusing is the hardest part. I'll keep you posted when I get a chance.

The suggestion of the canon 10-whatever you would like would be a great option if you were able to get there. I think it may provide you more of an experience. You have to stop down the fisheye quite a bit to get sharp results...i'm thinking f/8+ range.
    That would be great Jayson, thank you!

Jamsus

BTW...I looked up the statistics from my trip:
    • 80% 5DIII with the 24-70 II
    • 8.5% 5DIII with the 70-200 II (so I was wrong in that this was my #2 most used combination)
    • 7.5% 5DIII with the Rokinon 14 mm f/2.8 (while it was #3, of my "favorite" shots, it was easily #2)
    • 4% taken with the EOS-M system (and 1-2 of my favorite shots)

Even though I packed it, I ended up not using my 50 mm prime (but I could still see using it). The lens that I would have liked to have had would have been a TSE lens, although I did shoot wide a couple of time and straighten the lines in post.

I will "think" a bit more about that.

This weekend i tried a 15-85 and i don't find it really more useful than my 18-135 IS STM, so this option is discarded.

After the 15-85, i tried the 10-22 but... mmm, i think i will stay with 18-135 - i prefer "framing" a bit more instead than including a lot of elements with the 10-22 and it's just a matter of personal preference.

Now i need to try the 8mm just to say "ok, let's bring that" - No "classic" wide angle for me at the end

Jamsus