Thread: EOS M3 and other Smaller Cameras

EOS M3 and other Smaller Cameras

This hasn't been getting much discussion here, and it isn't even released in North America, but the M3 is looking like a nice upgrade from my current M1. Enough so that I am considering it.

A few of the spec advantages are a pop-up flash (probably only good for fill light), faster AF, articulating screen, 24 MP vs 18 MP, has the optional EVF, etc. But what I was waiting for was reviews of the sensor, noise, etc and here is the M3 vs M1/7DII. Generally, it is looking like ~0.5 stop improvement over the M1 and is even a tick better than the 7DII sensor here or there, but that may simply be due to different rates of compression. But, it is always better than being a tick worse.

That said, I have found myself never using my EF lenses on the M1 even though I have the adaptor. Instead, I have been tempted to expand my EF-M lens lineup to essentially create a "small kit" to sometimes take with me instead of my larger (5DIII based) kit. But, at that point, there isn't much reason to use the Canon and perhaps I would be better off with another system.

So, that is what I am curious about. What is everyone using for their "smaller" kits? Has anyone ventured to the Sony A6000? Is there a truly pocketable camera people like (RX100? GX7? S120?)? I may upgrade or sit tight with my current kit(s). If nothing else, I wanted to see if anyone else was looking at the M3 and the smaller kit options.

I used to use the EOS M + 22mm STM, but I loaned the camera to a friend and he never returned it. He liked (and used) it so much that he offered to buy it from me. While I enjoyed having the option of the smaller camera, I knew he would get a lot more use out of it than me, so I sold it.

I suppose we're in the same boat then? :-)

Keep looking at full frame mirrorless myself. So far it is the difference in lens lineups, particularly aperture, that is holding me back from switching. Otherwise I am thinking it would have happened already. Smaller, lighter, 4k video, less money, and other useful included features are all big plusses to me.

I just got back from a long weekend with my wife's family on the beaches of Rhode Island. I used my M1 a fair amount going out to restaurants and at the beach. Really, I am still impressed with what it can do in such a small package.

That said, the trip was just another reminder that I may want something a bit different and have been comparing the M1 to the M3 and then the G7X to the Sony RX 100 III and IV if I opt for something that can fit in a pocket and not just a "small system."

And now this morning, Canon USA announces that they are finally bringing the M3 and a number of the EF-m lenses to the US market. The lens prices is only a bit of a premium over what I've been seeing on ebay, but the M3 at $679 is significantly over the ~$405-$450 ebay price. Hopefully that settles down a bit.

Anyone have the Sony RX 100's?

I had an M1 kit. I traded the adapter and EF-M 18-55mm towards a Siggy 18-35mm f1.8. I gave my brother the M1 body and EF-M 22mm. I bought an SL1 refurb with some stacked coupons for just under $200. I much prefer the optical VF and feel of the SL1 over the M1. The EF-S 55-250STM lens is very capable and I have the Siggy 18-35mm f1.8, plus the 2 Canon pancakes, so I have a versatile lightweight kit when I need it.

I had also considered the Fuji XT-1 system, but I wanted to keep costs down and avoid another line of lenses.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    I much prefer the optical VF and feel of the SL1 over the M1.

but I wanted to keep costs down and avoid another line of lenses.
    I am not one of the EOS-M line bashers. It is a very remarkable system and is capable of taking some very good pictures. But every time I use it, I am struck by how much more I enjoy using a dSLR.

Plus I find the size to be less than desirable. Small, but not so small (pockatable/computer case).....it actually takes up a fair amount of room when packing for a trip, especially if I am packing the adaptor, and additional lenses. At this point, I would be most tempted to stop thinking of it as an add on and, if I were to get the M3, build a small kit around it. But that is where I get into the "another line of lenses" type of logic but my thought is more of "do I want a second, slightly smaller, system."

I am not sure what I want is out there, so I may simply stay with what I have. It certainly works. But the temptations are to get an advanced P&S such as the Sony RX 100 III/IV, Canon G7x, or hope that I enjoy using the M3 more with the EVF and that it is worth the size. The SL1 may be an alternative to the M3 in this case.

May be time for a serious pro/con list.

I picked up a Fuji xt1 system and yes an additional line of 3 lenses to compliment my 6D. I find I am having a hard time using the 6D - the Fuji is so easy to grab & go. Both have distinct advantages, I really love the Image Quality of the 6D and the line of lenses I own to go with it. Especially when I need reach the 100-400 is a must. For many instances I prefer the EVF of the xt1 as it really does provide more information concerning available light and image histogram before the shot is taken. I do get more keepers due to that. The thing is the the Auto-focus on the 6D that everyone complains about just works quicker than the AF on the xt1 - not by much with the new firmware 4.0, but still just enough to matter for serious action shots.

I keep both systems in a Tenba Messenger bag, The xt1 in the Mini version and the 6D in the Large version. I find that works extremely well for both, It's just the xt1 is so much lighter and easier to carry around it is usually the bag I grab. So now 90% of my images are taken with the xt1. I took the xt1 system on a photo workshop a few weeks ago and was very pleased with how well it performed and the space it did not take. I was able to grab my camera and lenses so much easier than those with the large back packs etc. It did allow me to capture some shots they missed as they were still trying get setup.

I still have a G16 I use for those times when I just want to pocket my camera and it does work well. I have seen some of the new P&S that have come out and if I did pocket my camera more often I would be tempted in that direction as well.

And Yes, I do suffer from GAS!
    Last edited by Lumens; 08-28-2015 at 07:10 PM.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    --------------
    Bill