Thread: Concert next month

Zach

Concert next month

well I going to see Marty Stuart next month (sep 11) at the Cailloux Theatre in Kerrville, I scored front row seats just off from the middle.

anyway i'm just looking for tips for this, I did this at another concert last year but I was just starting to learn so... need help.

I went ahead and got a battery grip to double the life and make those vertical shots easier to get, and I thought i'd take the 18-55mm and the 40mm with me. does this sound good?

the lighting will be about like this:
    https://flic.kr/p/hoAmk6
    https://flic.kr/p/hpeRs9
    https://flic.kr/p/a89LrY

Take the fastest lens you have because you probably will not be able to use flash and despite good stage lighting you may need high ISO to get enough shutter speed.

First off, enjoy the concert.

In terms of lenses, I would echo what Joel said, bring your fastest lens.

The images you linked were shot at 1/30, f/9, ISO 6400 and 1/40, f/5.6, ISO 6400, so these are actually ~1 stop different exposures. Both shots, the photographer used a slower shutterspeed than the 1/focal length would indicate (it seems their lens has VR/IS). Also, they were using a FF sensor.

Going to a crop body, my guess is that you will want a lower ISO, but that is the first thing I would look at. Likely around ISO 1600, or 2 stops lower. Then, unless you are also using a IS lens, you will need to make sure your shutterspeed is high enough to minimize blur, likely around or above 1/focal length, so you will need another 1/3-1 stop. The place that you could make up that difference is in aperture. Going from f/9 to f/2.8 is 3.3 stops, so you would be able to use your 40 mm f/2.8 from f/2.8-f4.5 at ISO 1600. That may be your best lens. The 18-55 will give you IS, but you'll likely have issues, as you will get motion blur at slower shutter speeds than 1/40 used in your links. But, I would probably take those two lenses.

For what it is worth, I took a few pics with my EOS-M and M18-55 lens at a concert in early July. Nothing amazing, but I got some ok shots 1/30-1/80, f/4-8, ISO 1600.

awesome to score front row seats. i shot courtside many a volleyball game and found a fast 50 to be a great tool to have. the f1/4 is still pretty cheap. while this may be longer than typically used, rent the 135 f/2 L. it is an amazing indoor lens. with this lens you could get some detailed shots of guitarists hands, keyboard hands, and singers sweaty faces. this lens is very niche but worth a rental.

50 mm f/1.4
    135 mm f/2 L

post your wall hangers when done! Erno

Zach
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Take the fastest lens you have because you probably will not be able to use flash and despite good stage lighting you may need high ISO to get enough shutter speed.
    yeah they say no flash! so will do Joel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    First off, enjoy the concert.

In terms of lenses, I would echo what Joel said, bring your fastest lens.

The images you linked were shot at 1/30, f/9, ISO 6400 and 1/40, f/5.6, ISO 6400, so these are actually ~1 stop different exposures. Both shots, the photographer used a slower shutterspeed than the 1/focal length would indicate (it seems their lens has VR/IS). Also, they were using a FF sensor.

Going to a crop body, my guess is that you will want a lower ISO, but that is the first thing I would look at. Likely around ISO 1600, or 2 stops lower. Then, unless you are also using a IS lens, you will need to make sure your shutterspeed is high enough to minimize blur, likely around or above 1/focal length, so you will need another 1/3-1 stop. The place that you could make up that difference is in aperture. Going from f/9 to f/2.8 is 3.3 stops, so you would be able to use your 40 mm f/2.8 from f/2.8-f4.5 at ISO 1600. That may be your best lens. The 18-55 will give you IS, but you'll likely have issues, as you will get motion blur at slower shutter speeds than 1/40 used in your links. But, I would probably take those two lenses.

For what it is worth, I took a few pics with my EOS-M and M18-55 lens at a concert in early July. Nothing amazing, but I got some ok shots 1/30-1/80, f/4-8, ISO 1600.
    thanks Brant, as you said there was a ~1 stop different exposures and they have a FF sensor, which is why I want to upgrade to one sometime but that won't happen anytime soon sadly.

and thanks for the very detailed advice!, the 40mm will be my prime and the 18-55 will be my back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by erno james View Post
    awesome to score front row seats. i shot courtside many a volleyball game and found a fast 50 to be a great tool to have. the f1/4 is still pretty cheap. while this may be longer than typically used, rent the 135 f/2 L. it is an amazing indoor lens. with this lens you could get some detailed shots of guitarists hands, keyboard hands, and singers sweaty faces. this lens is very niche but worth a rental.

50 mm f/1.4
    135 mm f/2 L

post your wall hangers when done! Erno
    thank you for your enthusiasm Erno!

I've been wanting the 50mm f/1.4 and the 135mm f/2L for awhile but I am unable to buy or rent at this time

and I will be sure to post the cream of the crop.

Zach
    Concert was Awesome!!!

will be a couple days of post before I add them

i'm pretty sure I got a few gems!
    Last edited by Zach; 09-12-2015 at 06:48 AM.