Thread: Something to think about

Something to think about

Found this posted online and thought it might be of interest to some.

https://www.photigy.com/why-turned-f...eid=09dcba4e66

I could almost write something similar only: "How I turned from Canon to Fuji". I have both a Canon 6D system and a Fuji xt1 system, the Fuji has a lot going for it especially the light weight compact portability with DSLR quality image capture.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    --------------
    Bill

Most of the points can be answered by saying "Get a 70D". ie: tilt screen, wifi, phone-app control, live-view, live-view face focus, live-view magnification.

Focus Peaking is missing. DR would be lowered, because Canon doesn't want to sacrifice ruggedness (tilt-screen, non-wifi-interfering casing) on their full-frame lineup.

On the other hand, all the other camera systems seem to be missing Canon's glass lineup... and the Sony focus tracking can't keep up with sports unless you buy additional hardware.

I'm sure each lineup has advantages and disadvantages. Just because one photographer prefers their new A7 over their presumably old Canon DSLR (My T1i had face focus / magnification of LiveView...) doesn't means DSLRs are dead. Every tool has a place, and most people don't need a DSLR.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I have been looking at these for a while now. Every time I load up the backpack with 1D bodies, 300mm, 70-200, and everything else for a day of sports shooting I keep dreaming about a lightweight system that will deliver the same results in a weather sealed package. May be a long time coming though!

One of the more interesting features to me is the ability to use adaptors for Canon, Nikon, and other lenses with AF and have camera control of aperture along with IS in the camera body. I do miss AF and camera control of some of the lenses I currently use. The mirrorless cameras are much closer to working with every lens available in the market place than any Canon or Nikon will ever be. Not without some tradeoffs but outside of sports usage it might not be so bad.

Edit: The DSLR is dead statement may be a bit early, and overly dramatic, but it does get me wondering about when the mirrorless systems will have matured enough to be more comparable while at the same time offering new little twists of its own. What is the future of the technology?
    Last edited by jrw; 08-18-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Not that it is really all that little, but... the 6D is noticeably smaller than even the 5D series body. Add an f/4 zoom lens instead of f/2.8 and the package keeps getting smaller or even smaller yet with a modest prime lens.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Not that it is really all that little, but... the 6D is noticeably smaller than even the 5D series body. Add an f/4 zoom lens instead of f/2.8 and the package keeps getting smaller or even smaller yet with a modest prime lens.

Dave
    ....and the M3. It is mirrorless, has a tilt screen, an even smaller form factor, etc....it doesn't hit all of his list, but it is also ~1/6th the price of the A7R II.

BTW...while I do not object to mirrorless, I am not ready to convert. Leaving out the discussion as to whether or not there are true advantages of mirrorless, there are still areas the technology needs to improve upon. Even with all the attention the A7R II is getting, check out the indoor AF ~8 min into the video.

Mirrorless works for a lot of people, but I personally couldn't justify a 2nd system. Something like the Ricoh GR would be great, but again is fairly expensive for an "every once in a while" camera.

I had the original EOS M and found it to be on the sluggish side.

Dave

I'm just happy to have the kit that I do have. I'm not really into the mirrorless vs slr, or sony vs canon debates. I'm a "buy what you like" kind of person and I enjoy what I have.

So far I am still happy with the DSLR's. When I want a light kit, I will go with my 6D and the 35IS or the 7D and a 60 (depending what I expect to be shooting). A few years ago I picked up a mirrorless on sale, and found I didn't like it so much, as going completely manual was difficult. I found I never used it so I sold it for a loss. This summer I had a chance to play around with the Fuji XT1 and loved it. All the things that were difficult with the mirrorless I purchased, weren't with the XT1. If I had more $ in my pocket, I might consider buying one for a travel camera.
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.