Thread: Upgrading body - lens help please.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I photograph my family mostly. I have a three year old boy and my wife and I just had our second child 8 weeks ago. I have a 60 mm macro for the close up infant pics, and I need a great zoom as my son is getting faster and faster. Ive taken 25K+ pics in just three years, love photography!! Only hobby though.

I want higher IQ from the upgrade, 100% view finder, and maybe the WiFi (6D), and the most up to date technology (not sure if that applies to camera bodies like it does to computers, tablets and phones).

The 10 FPS definitely appeals to me, but not the end all be all. My cousin shoots with a 7D and lives and dies by it. The body of the 7DII is an upgrade (magnesium), but so would the 6D. Those are the two I'm contemplating between... does this help, would you go with the 7DII, 6D or stay with the 60D?

Is full frame the way I should go? 5Ds or 5Dr?
    Last edited by Magijr; 08-17-2015 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magijr View Post
    ...and I need a great zoom as my son is getting faster and faster.
    Define "great zoom". To some, the best zoom is a prime lens (best image quality). To some, the best zoom is 0.5 pounds. To some, the best zoom is f/1.8. To some, the best zoom is a 10x range. To some, the best zoom would be a 200-500.

I want higher IQ from the upgrade, 100% view finder...
    What's wrong with the IQ you're getting now? Is it something that's the fault of the body? What's wrong with a sub-100% viewfinder? Are your shots so time-critical that you can't crop them?

The 10 FPS definitely appeals to me, but not the end all be all. My cousin shoots with a 7D and lives and dies by it. The body of the 7DII is an upgrade (magnesium), but so would the 6D. Those are the two I'm contemplating between... does this help, would you go with the 7DII, 6D or stay with the 60D?
    Why is the incremental frame rate (5.3->10) so important to you? Do you have the infrastructure necessary to deal with it? Do you have the light (via aperture, ISO, or existing ambient/artificial light) to support the shutter speeds necessary to achieve 10fps? Do you realize that even the best cameras out there only capture 4% of time with their high frame rates, and the other 96% of time goes by while the shutter is closed?

Is full frame the way I should go? 5Ds or 5Dr?
    You have five current FF options out there: 6D, 5D3, 5Ds, 5DsR, 1Dx. You have five older options: 5D, 5D2, 1Ds, 1Ds2, 1Ds3. Do you have the lenses to support it? If you've got the EF-S 17-55 and you switch to the 24-70 on FF, you're probably going to miss that last 18mm you've given up. I for one really missed what my 70-200s could do on APS-C, and bought a 300/4 as an interim until the 100-400II became a reality.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.