Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st 5DSR multi shot stitch attempt

1st 5DSR multi shot stitch attempt

See I can get this posted correctly. Heavy Runner by mbarrett5076, on Flickr

This is the downsize to 4k equivalence of a mutli-shot pano stitch of just east of Logan's Pass in Glacier National Park.

The original stitch is 39.9k x 12.9kpixels. I used PtGui to stich together some 225 frames which in the end 15 or so were cropped out. Getting the clouds to stitch was a major pain. The parts of the mountain that were fogged in where also a major pain to align and stitch. It was shot w/ my 70-200 at 200 f7.1 and the 5DsR the jpg conversion shadow was pushed up and contract added as it was actually much foggier than it appears. This about 11 a.m. the cloud bank was very heavy. Doing the jpg conversion from raw was a lengthy process. Loading the images into the software was very lengthy, and then aligning the photos (post software attempts) was just a process that you had to resolve to do - I did it clumsily and impatiently for sure.

In the original, the closer elements are in (as you would expect) amazing detail, the details across the valley are not as crisp as they would be w/o the cloud bank but sometimes conditions are what you want.

I still very much like the look of this pano - I have not explored every nook and cranny - I do though giggle and snort at some of the detail across the valley and on the valley floor. I will post some 100% of some of the waterfalls, etc.

I believe my stitching skills are still at striving to achieve the status of "rank amateur" There are so many adjustments to perspective, projection, blending/overlay, etc. I am though happy on the parallax elements and positioning of the lens. I have a pano of Hidden Lake that I did w/ the T/S 90 which is just mind blowing in detail, and I am still working on it - it has more contrast and I need to work the images more.

Thanks for viewing.

Mike
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 08-30-2015 at 06:26 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Wow Mike. I like the photo as it is now, but you make me very curious at how the full result turned out! I thought I made one big panorama once with "just" 50 shots, but your's is really big. Do you use some sort of tool to do it? (gigapan?)
    Any chance we'll be seeing the original sometime?

It is a shame all of the detail is lost to flickr. It is even lost on a single shot out of the 5Ds R.
    I would have really liked to do some pixel peeping on a shot like that.

Used the RRS pan head. For framing I used the gridlines in the viewfinder. I tethered the camera and lense combo to figure out where to mount the lens foot on the head (nodal point). By swinging the framing from one extreme to the e other. Put the figures in my now destroyed cell phone. Need to redo them )

The software did a pretty good job of sorting the frames for the most part. It is just such a pain to do the matching. Converting the raw to jpg took.... let's just say overnight. Loading the jpg into the stitcher was easy 30 minutes. This is on an i7 5500 with 12 g ram.

Creating the actual stitched image took 15 mins or so.

I suspect there are programs better suited for this size. My attempts with 22mp images and 10 frames where surprisingly fast

This is the water fall almost straight across the valley - seems like a white stripe at a 45 degree angle in the big pix

Heavy Runner 4k by mbarrett5076, on Flickr

This the 100% of the upper portion of the above image

Heavy Runner 100% waterfal by mbarrett5076, on Flickr

One can wander around in the original for a long time - the fog is cool at the larger image, gets in the way of pixel peeping - fun none the less.

Give until the end of this coming weekend and I will have the clear air pano of Hidden Lake - T/S 90 was the lens - totally awesome

Mike

If anyone has a suggestion on how/where to post the detailed image - I am game for it.

Waterfall at the far right and then 100% of the bottom - for those who would like to wander in the image

Logan Pass Waterfall by mbarrett5076, on Flickr

Bottom of the falls

Logan Pass Waterfall Bottom 100% by mbarrett5076, on Flickr
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 09-01-2015 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    If anyone has a suggestion on how/where to post the detailed image - I am game for it.
    I do not know, but Flickr doesn't seem to be it. Flickr doesn't even give a single file all its detail. I guess if our only medium is Flickr the detail from the 5ds and 5ds R would be a waste.

Does Flickr prevent it somehow? You should be able to upload full size, then we can hit the arrow-down icon when viewing the image, select "view all sizes", and choose the original mega-sized file. I've never uploaded a massive panorama before, so perhaps Flickr imposes some cap that I'm not aware of, but Flickr doesn't prevent pixel peeping images at all.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    but Flickr doesn't prevent pixel peeping images at all.
    This is true if you download the picture to view. If you just view on screen detail is lost.
    Mike's account has downloading disabled so limited pixel peeping.