Thread: Nikon tests

Nikon tests

I noticed that some lenses are on the website, but no textual details. Bryan has no plans to do any. Not that I'm really interested, since I'm a Canon user.
    Also, no reviews of Nikon cameras, either.

What's the point of having these few examples on the website? Most users here are also Canon. It's clear that Bryan is Canon focused (no pun).

Just curious.

About 3 years ago I wanted to become more active with photography as a hobby. At that time I needed to decide Canon vs Nikon for the new gear. The comparison of lenses in standard conditions was helpful--it was certainly one of the factors I considered.

Obviously, since I still participate in this forum, I went with a Canon system. I understand that many more of the users on the site have already selected Canon. For them the Nikon comparisons are of less importance beyond satisfying curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerve101 View Post
    About 3 years ago I wanted to become more active with photography as a hobby. At that time I needed to decide Canon vs Nikon for the new gear. The comparison of lenses in standard conditions was helpful--it was certainly one of the factors I considered.
    I have a similar story. When I upgraded from the 7D to the 5DIII, I spent awhile evaluating the D800, Nikon lenses, what my "kit" would look like with both systems, etc. I used the Nikon IQ tests to help compare lenses between the two brands. Of course, I went 5DIII.

I still find it useful. For example, there was recently some chatter about the Nikon 70-200 II actual focal lengths being much less than the Canon (and 200 mm). But, using Bryan's spec page, it is shorter than the Canon, but not as much as I was hearing mentioned. Maybe at MFD, it is much less, but at 20-22 ft, it was pretty similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerve101 View Post
    Obviously, since I still participate in this forum, I went with a Canon system. I understand that many more of the users on the site have already selected Canon. For them the Nikon comparisons are of less importance beyond satisfying curiosity.
    Users of all brands are welcome, ....even Nikon.

Several years ago Bryan planned on the site completing Nikon camera and lens reviews via a new employee. In preparation for that, he purchased Nikon gear and started completing the standardized tests. Unfortunately, the new hire fell through so no full Nikon reviews were ever completed. However, Bryan continued purchasing Nikon lenses for completing the standardized tests. It's our hope that the Nikon tests prove useful to those who are interested in the gear; however, we're aware that full reviews would be most helpful (it's just not something we're staffed for at the moment).

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Several years ago Bryan planned on the site completing Nikon camera and lens reviews via a new employee. In preparation for that, he purchased Nikon gear and started completing the standardized tests. Unfortunately, the new hire fell through so no full Nikon reviews were ever completed. However, Bryan continued purchasing Nikon lenses for completing the standardized tests. It's our hope that the Nikon tests prove useful to those who are interested in the gear; however, we're aware that full reviews would be most helpful (it's just not something we're staffed for at the moment).
    Maybe he could get Daniel Browning to do the testing. He was the most knowledgeable person on the forum and he sold all his gear and purchased Nikon.

Mark

Interesting suggestion...Daniel was the hire that fell through. :-)

Mark

That would have been awesome. I would have understood 37.34% of it, but awesome.

Darn. Liked Daniel's comments - always very helpful
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911