Thread: Framing

Framing

As many of you well know I'm creatively challenged . I would like to frame some of my least worst images.

What I would like to know is does anybody have a site that explains how to frame images. I used Google but I kept finding sites that contradicted each other.

My questions are:

Frame colour, does it matter?
    How big and what colour should the border be?
    Canvas, what's better in this format?
    Glass, what's better in this format?

If anybody has some expertise in this area it would be greatly appreciate.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

I usually take my print(s) with me to a frame shop in order to browse all the different choices and also get input from the shop owner. I do generally prefer non-glare glass but there are millions of frame choices so I find it helpful to see what they look like against the print before deciding.

Thanks Joel

I did try a number of places that do the printing and mounting, but I soon realize that I would get more intelligent answers asking at a McDonalds

I think I will need to find a place that specializes in this to have any hope of getting useful answer.

Thanks again.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

I usually use frame-less means such as printing on metal and float mounting, or I have canvas prints gallery wrapped. I prefer the picture to stand on its own merits and look as simplistic as possible. But that is just my tastes.

One mistake I have made when framing... I did not leave enough space between the glass and the print. A framer I talked to (and she fixed my mistake), adds little pads (around 1/8" or a little less) between the print and the glass. It allows air to circulate and keeps the print from getting wavy (which is very annoying). Personally, I like the looks of black as a frame, or something a little different to make it interesting like birds eye maple, bamboo, or rough cut barn wood (depending on the subject). The barn wood is probably over done now days though.

Show us what you end up with... I would be interested.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr