Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What i mess up on the picture

What i mess up on the picture

Hi,

I realised, that since i haven't used wide agnle lens before, i tend to get bend horizon on my images.

Not exactly sure what part of the settings i mess up. Too wide aperture or what?

Good example is my church yard picture flickr.com/kasaari is the image called Church by night, also on the week 42 assigments.

Would love to get hold on that issue =)

And one thing popped to my mind...since i was before trying to catch some auroras....my focus was in infinity....and i just then didn't change the settings at all for this image

I think its not you, it is the lens.
    I think you are referring to the distortion a wide angle lens has. That is common at wide angles.
    See this chart.
    If you are using LR to PP I believe it has a function that can correct this if you so choose.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...istortion.aspx

FYI, on FF it starts becoming noticeable below 24mm.

Look at this sample at 11mm
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...omp=0&Lens=977

VS 24mm

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...3&CameraComp=0

Hmm, i think i even used the lens correction to the picture. Gotta look that picture again in LR to see if i can straighten it up. Before getting that lens i read about the review and saw that distortion part also.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I think its not you, it is the lens.
    I think you are referring to the distortion a wide angle lens has. That is common at wide angles.
    See this chart.
    If you are using LR to PP I believe it has a function that can correct this if you so choose.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...istortion.aspx
    The lens i am using is Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM and looked up the picture and yes had used the lens correction for it also.

Not any lens has the supported correction
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

Yeah, seems that just need to bit look what photoing with that lens.

You can fix the distortion manually in light room, but you end up losing part of the picture when you crop it to get back to a standard square or rectangular shape. At that point it defeats the point of using a wide angle. I believe you can repair the trapezoidal effect after repair in PS, but it has been a while since I have done it to tell you how. Best to down load the lens data and let the software do it for you if you can... I believe you can do that in Canon's DPP.

To reduce the distortion, try to put vertical lines or horizontal lines that you do not want distorted as close to center frame as possible, and then straighten (or partially straighten) in post processing. Not always the best composition, but neither is the distortion sometimes. It is all about give and take to come up with a good balance.

As an example, I run into this distortion with lighthouses. Good composition would put the lighthouse off center to one side or the other. But then, it leans inward due to distortion. So I move it a little more towards the center, and leave a little room to straighten and crop the composition to what I want in PP.

At 24 mm, I find it quite noticeable in the situation described above, and I plan accordingly. Or ignore it... there are many that do not seem to mind the distortion.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Take a look at this video, LR has many tools to fix all types of distortion.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/ho...orrection.html
    There is a difference between the distortion that comes from the lens itself and distortion that comes from the perspective you shoot.
    Do not confuse the two.