Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts?

Other than Joel's version and the B&W, the rest of the mods look to blue along the river bank. You need to fix the temperature first, and then go from there. I like Joel's version a lot, and I think the B&W has a lot of potential (maybe a little to much sepia from Zach, but good direction). If you get the B&W conversion done well, that could be a winner.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I played around with this image a bit more and this is getting close enough I'll probably stop. I ended up adjusting both warmth/tint, backing down on exposure and shadows, adjusting the red color channel and probably one or two more things.

Of course, I may end up liking something one of you does better

Small-1092 by kayaker72, on Flickr

For comparison;

1L0A1092.jpg by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

Using Camera Landscape I thought it put to much red in. So I used Adobe.
    What time of day was it taken? Maybe it should have a red tint. I actually went with the cameras WB setting.

The other two at 70 mm I just haven't found a crop I would like. Also the elk were not sharp enough to crop to much.

Brant I will give you my best advice, try out a 5Ds R next time you go out. I know from my trip to London and then Yellowstone the last two months you would have had more detail in those elk. Even at 1/100. Do not believe the bs you hear that you have to have fast shutter speed or tripod to take advantage of the resolution. It is just like every other camera, you have to have those things to maximize but good technique will get you there.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Using Camera Landscape I thought it put to much red in. So I used Adobe.
    What time of day was it taken? Maybe it should have a red tint. I actually went with the cameras WB setting.

The other two at 70 mm I just haven't found a crop I would like. Also the elk were not sharp enough to crop to much.

Brant I will give you my best advice, try out a 5Ds R next time you go out. I know from my trip to London and then Yellowstone the last two months you would have had more detail in those elk. Even at 1/100. Do not believe the bs you hear that you have to have fast shutter speed or tripod to take advantage of the resolution. It is just like every other camera, you have to have those things to maximize but good technique will get you there.
    Thanks Rick. I really like your take on it. The shot was taken ~1-1.5 hrs before sunset.

No doubt this is one of the circumstances where I would have really appreciated the extra resolution. If the lensrentals numbers are to be believed, it has ~1.4x more resolution. And, I am paying attention to the images that I see from the 5Ds R. Not sure I will pull the trigger myself, but it does seem to address a couple of my minor issues with the 5DIII (blacker blacks) and the extra resolution seems to add nice looking natural contrast to the images.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-29-2015 at 03:09 PM.

It has been a while. Was this assignment #78.

It would have been a good assignment. Have a topic in mind? I haven't heard back from Enro. I am thinking maybe something like "Color"....Give it some thought and I'll get the next assignment going.

Colorful, a single color, multiple color, blended .......etc

Or just a visual interpretation of the word "color", which could open up a multitude of style.

What do you have in mind?