Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trips with significant photo ops

Trips with significant photo ops

Got to thinking... always interesting and sometimes dangerous...

Where is anyone headed that involves a reasonable bit of photo ops?

For example, I am ALWAYS up for hosting a jaunt to the merritt island bird refuge just outside if orlando. Picked up a new super crew pickup truck that hold 4 of the most ardent bird types. Found another bird site that is closed until feb 15 (Orlando wetlands park)

I will be heading off on a family reunion in Oslo and then the train trip to bergen. A day in each has been set aside for photo efforts. This will be in late June 2016.

Pondering a quick trip to Yellowstone/Tetons late Aprilish
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I have none planned in the immediate future. I have been making plans for Alaska next August.
    Although Merritt Island sounds interesting

Being single I am not much for long trips, but I am signed up for an Arizona Highways Workshop in the spring to shoot Wildflowers. When I first moved here I thought the locals were extremely deprived to think the "Desert in Bloom" was something to see. I'd go out and yes there was one or two really cool flowers out, but definitely nothing close to what I have seen in the outdoors in the past.

Then one day when I was out without camera I went to a location where I saw the "Desert in Bloom" It is the most incredible thing you will ever see!! The desert floor covered and gleaming in yellow, red, purple, blue, etc. flowers mixed with the Saguaro and Ocotillo within the rock formations. I am hoping we can run into something like that during the workshop. If you don't believe in God you will after observing the "Desert in Bloom" at the right time.

It is something I believe occurs throughout the desert, but only lasts one or two days at the most in each location, so actually witnessing it is not easy. It is truly a matter of being in the right place at the right time without knowing when or where before hand.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    --------------
    Bill

Bill: that desert bloom sounds amazing. Would love to have the opportunity to see that some day.

Mike: I should look you up next time I am in Orlando with the family....maybe I could sneak away for a few hours in Merritt island....

Personally, I love to travel so there is always somewhere else in planning. But I did just book the flights for a big trip coming up in March/April. We're headed through LA to Tahiti, New Zealand, Australia, Fiji, Hawaii and through LA again on the way home. Plan to be gone for about 6 weeks. It is a family trip, but I'm definitely going to be taking some photo-ops along the way!

i will be leaving for florida on the 12th of december for 4 weeks . i will be in the clearwater area but i plan on trying to find some good birding spots while im there.
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

I am sure there decent spots on the west coast of Florida - I am not familiar with them. Merritt Island is really an amazing place for water birds/ducks.

If you find yourself wandering over to the east side, I will drive the rest of the way from Orlando to Merritt Island so you can have a break.

Here is a link to several sites in the S.E.
    http://www.blog.catandturtle.net/cen...phy-locations/

I have been to Leu Gardens many times and it can be fun - birding is a bit of a stretch, but flow and bug macro stuff is everywhere. I did the Orlando Wetlands park and it was pretty good too - but will be closed from Nov 15 to Feb 15. I will scout the Lake Apopka locations referenced as they are not too far from my house.
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 11-09-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    Bill: that desert bloom sounds amazing. Would love to have the opportunity to see that some day.

Mike: I should look you up next time I am in Orlando with the family....maybe I could sneak away for a few hours in Merritt island....

Personally, I love to travel so there is always somewhere else in planning. But I did just book the flights for a big trip coming up in March/April. We're headed through LA to Tahiti, New Zealand, Australia, Fiji, Hawaii and through LA again on the way home. Plan to be gone for about 6 weeks. It is a family trip, but I'm definitely going to be taking some photo-ops along the way!

I will scout out the other locations that are listed at Cat and Turtle and will have a basic review. Would welcome any reason to get to Merritt

The Northumberland area of England is target rich with castles and other historical structures. Some nice coastline, too. Cornwall is similarly rife with history and views.

Death Valley is a place you could spend a week and still run out of time to photograph it all.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    The Northumberland area of England is target rich with castles and other historical structures. Some nice coastline, too. Cornwall is similarly rife with history and views.

Death Valley is a place you could spend a week and still run out of time to photograph it all.
    But Cornwall sounds like a much better place to spend a week, at least when the camera is not actually in your hands. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    But Cornwall sounds like a much better place to spend a week, at least when the camera is not actually in your hands. :-)
    True. Death Valley is not the place to go for good restaurants, shopping, or partying.
    Mark - Flickr