Thread: Australia & NZ Recomendations

Australia & NZ Recomendations

Hey all;

As mentioned in another thread, we've got a family trip planned with the main destination being Australia and New Zealand. This is primarily a family trip, but I'm definitely going to be looking for other photo opportunities while there. I know there are some forum members from Australia so I'm hoping for any insider information .

Right now we have most of our flights booked and we'll be spending approximately one week in New Zealand (flying into and out of Aukland) and two weeks in Australia (flying into Melbourne and out of Sydney). In Australia we're tentatively thinking to spend some time around Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road then flying to Cairns to see the great barrier reef & rainforests and then flying to Sydney for the remainder. Also would love to get to Uluru, but I'm not sure we have the time. We'll be there in March 2016.

As mentioned, this is a family trip so it will be myself, my wife and our 3-year-old son and almost-1-year-old daughter. Along with photo locations/suggestions, any general travel recommendations or places to go are welcome as we don't have an itinerary set yet. I'll welcome any input!

Stephen

New Zealand is high on my bucket list. I've always heard and seen great images of the coast, mountains, and waterfalls.

But....someone who is now a coworker went a few years ago and mentioned glow worm tours.....

http://www.glowworm.co.nz/

http://www.newzealand.com/us/plan/bu...lowworm-caves/

So, that has been added to my list.....

Thanks for the suggestion Brant. The glow worm tours look interesting: I bet my 3-year-old will like it too. I wonder if it is appropriate to bring a tripod on these tours? Don't suppose your coworker happens to know?

Stephen

Just giving this thread another bump to see if anyone else will chime in...

Our travel arrangements are mostly all made with all flights, hotels and rentals booked (definitely simpler to have everything pre-booked when travelling with kids).

Our full itinerary has 3 nights in Los Angeles, 5 nights in Tahiti, 6 nights in New Zealand (North Island), 5 nights in Melbourne area (and Great Ocean Road), 5 nights in Port Douglas (Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest), 4 nights in Sydney, 3 nights in Fiji, 3 nights in Honolulu, 3 nights in Maui and 2 more nights in LA before heading home. Total is just short of 6 weeks travel! Maybe we're crazy for taking this on with a 3-year-old and 11-month-old .

If anyone has any suggestions or tips on any part of the trip I'm all ears! Good photo locations, must-see spots, good restaurants, nice beaches, airport tips, packing suggestions, etc.

FYI, for photo gear I'm planning to take my 5d3, 16-35 f2.8, 24-105L, 100-400L mkII and possibly the 50 f1.4. I'll also have a tripod, spare battery, extra memory cards, c-pol filters, etc. Feel free to make comment on what I should or shouldn't take. For reference I also have the 70-200 f4 IS, 100 f2.8 macro, and 1.4 exII which I'll likely be leaving home. Also have 580EXII and 430EXII flashes...I am still debating whether to bring a flash.

Stephen
    Last edited by NFLD Stephen; 01-28-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Typo