Thread: Photography Related Gifts

Photography Related Gifts

My wife and I still like to exchange gifts at Christmas. I am working on putting together a list of ideas for this year and, as my lists usually include a lot of photography related items, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had ideas?

In particular, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good small multi-purpose tool that they use for photography? I would primarily like something with a hex-bolt for my tripod legs and allen-wrench for the brackets and plates. The other key characteristic would be a lack of blade so that TSA doesn't confiscate it while traveling.

Other than that, I am focusing on creating duplicate sets of basic gear (back up batteries, rocket air blaster, lens pen, micro fiber cloth, etc) so I no longer have to switch those between the two backpacks I tend to use. I am also looking at better footwear for waterfalls. I have used Chaco sandals with the Colorado sole (good for water), but the Pro soles are even better (but mark). I am also looking at hiking boots/shoes with the Vibram Megagrip sole (Vasque Inhalers) as those are supposed to be good for hiking and work around/in water.

Any other ideas? Gifts that you've really enjoyed?
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-18-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Last year my youngest son (21), gave me a pair of gloves with the fingertips exposed and a little fold over flaps to keep warm. It came in handy at Yellowstone this year. I may have mentioned it to him but I thought it was very thoughtful. My step daughter and her husband bought me an old film camera. I think they thought it was an antique but I did spend some time getting it to work. I never bought a battery for it but I think it would work.

I always get the complaint that I am hard to buy for and it is true. If I thought I needed something I usually just go out and get it.

As for tool, you have Gitzo legs. Did yours come with the little tool that attaches to the side of the legs. It holds your allen wrench and has a built in to it. Oddly enough I didn't realize it was a wrench until I needed to tighten the legs, I thought it was just a holder for the allen wrench. You can see it attached to the legs on this model. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...bon_Fiber.html

I have several multipurpose tools but they take up to much room, the allen wrench's do not take up much space in the bag and there are so few.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I always get the complaint that I am hard to buy for and it is true. If I thought I needed something I usually just go out and get it.
    That's exactly why I'm difficult to buy for. :-)

Really Right Stuff has their MTX Multi-Tool. Maybe look at various bike tools, they tend to be metric, but the 4mm should cover for 5/32" and won't have a knife. If you don't mind a knife, leatherman has the Wave with accessory bit kit to cover a large range of needs.

Eric

I have not made a list this year but last year I listed some accessories such as....

1. Lens Coat neoprene camera body bags and/or lens bags .... these are very nice for packing your gear in bags without divers
    2. Hoodman Loupe for looking at the camera LCD in detail or when it's very sunny outside
    3. Extra Lens and body caps
    4. A white balance disk for making custom white balance settings in any light
    5. Topaz Plug Ins for Photoshop

These are useful gifts that don't break the bank.

I'm like the rest of you .... We exchange gifts with our kids and their spouses but we minimize it to one gift each and I usually end up buying what I want so I don't want to ask for very big items from my kids for Christmas. I get more enjoyment out of giving them something really special.

A flashbender? I doesn't look it would fit your photography subjects (based on Flickr), but perhaps it would suit what the wife shoots?
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

a $10,000 gift card for B&H should top the list

For those in a colder climate I am so glad to have my waterproof lightweight snow pants. Minimal insulation for light weight, zippers full length up the sides to allow control of heat retention. All I need as an outer layer for down to -30 C in the outdoors.
    Wool hunting gloves with the grip dots. Not too heavy but makes it so much easier to work with any gear in cold weather. Fit inside leather outer mittens for colder days. Last time I got some it was around $10 for a three pack. Come in handy for grip when crawling around on slippery rocks near water falls too!!

Some great ideas that I'll definitely add to the list. Thanks everyone.

Hint: use the Amazon Wish List (you can even get the AWL toolbar and add things to your wishlist that aren't sold via Amazon), and store things onto your wish list. I have a main/public list, a private list that's shared only with my wife (as my parents tend to clean out my list way too fast for her), an "internal"/private list (silly things that I'll just buy randomly when I feel like it, or want to track but don't want others rushing to get for me), and an internal photography list. You can move things between lists super easy, and for December and (birthday - 2 weeks) they prevent you from seeing what's been purchased for you.

I also keep a basic webpage (edited by hand in a Linux editor) with other photo wishlist things. I guess the biggest point I'm forgetting to make is to manage your wishlist all year long, which makes specific times so much easier.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.