Thread: One Click Picture Level

One Click Picture Level

PP a hunting coyote from Yellowstone and an idea hit me.

Now that bodies have a level built in, wouldn't it be nice in PP if you could just click on level and it would correct your image for you.
    I have my doubts that the camera's orientation is saved in the file, but it looks like it would be possible.

Then again, maybe it is available now and I am ignorant of the fact and may learn something.

Love it.

That makes a ton of sense! I spend a fair bit of time fussing with my photo angles in post. If the camera saved the original shot angle, we could theoretically snap back to level in a single click. You should patent that idea and sell it to Canon

What, this old thing?

One Click Level - Lightroom by Dave E, on Flickr

Yes, it doesn't use the built-in level info (as far as I know), but it wouldn't be much of stretch for Adobe to take advantage of the extra info if it were to making it into the EXIF.
    Last edited by DavidEccleston; 12-01-2015 at 04:10 AM.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Great idea, it would do the job for many images where "OK" level is good enough. For images including obvious horizontal/vertical references (e.g. sea horizon) the accuracy of the in-camera level may not be sufficient. (According to my experience, the level indication of my 7D is within a few tenths, say ±0.3°. That’s good enough for many shots, but not for shots including sea horizon.)

I've found that ACR's auto-level function works quite well if the image has strong verticals or a decent horizon.

That said, I think that NightHawk's idea is excellent. If Canon's EXIF does not record the level variance data, it should. Maybe the Magic Lantern folks could come up with some way to incorporate it.
    Mark - Flickr