Thread: Eyeglass distortion

Eyeglass distortion

Question for you portrait pros. How do you deal with distortion caused by eyeglasses when the subject prefers to wear them for a head shot or portrait? Do you just leave it be?

Here's an example of a recent shot I took. Note the eye on the left of the image. The glare and color distortion can be fixed, but that distortion caused by the eyeglasses really cannot be corrected easily, if at all.

Camera
    Canon EOS 6D

Focal Length
    135mm

Aperture
    f/2

Exposure
    1/125s

ISO

Mark - Flickr

If you really want to give it a go two options that spring to mind are to select the area covered by the lens ad use either liquify or distort, under the transform tool, to attempt nudging things around. It won't be easy to keep the eye looking correct but if you attempt only little bits at a time it should be possible to at least fill the space with flesh tones so it won't be as noticeable as the background.

I found a tutorial that worked pretty well. The hard part when both eyes are distorted is keeping them both the same relative size when fixing the distortion. I managed to fix the image I had, but every time I look at it I waffle back and forth wondering if one eye looks bigger than the other.
    Mark - Flickr

In one of Scott Kilby's PS how to books, he suggests taking two shots. One with glasses on and one without glasses. Then cut the glass with distortion and glare out and clone in the bare eyes into the frame. Seems to work well especially if movement is minimal.

Doesn't really help with the picture you have, but nice for future reference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I thought of doing that, but without at least a bit of glare, it looks odd. It looks like they're wearing just frames. Still, probably better than messing around with stretching and warping.
    Mark - Flickr