Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B&H Purchase Gone Wrong - Please Advise!

B&H Purchase Gone Wrong - Please Advise!

Hi guys,

I could really use some advise. I just received a lens (Lensbaby Velvet 56) yesterday that I purchased from B&H. I ordered a Canon mount and that is what it states on the invoice and on the box but inside is NOT a Canon Mount lens. I don't know what brand of a mount it is, I assume maybe Nikon. The serial number on the lens doesn't even match what is on my invoice!

I immediately requested through B&H's website a RMA and shipping label. I heard from Tom F. via email today requesting pictures of the box and lens. I don't get why he needed the pictures but I sent them immediately hours before they closed but never heard back from him. I couldn't call because I was at work. Now they are closed until Sunday.

On Sunday, I plan on calling there so I am wondering if there is someone there that you recommend I talk to that will help me out with exchanging this for the correct mount? I hope they don't think I swapped out the lens or something!! What would I be doing with anything but a Canon mount lens!?

I am worried that they won't exchange it. I am just recently back to work after being laid off for a very, very long time and was thrilled to start slowly building my gear back up after selling so much of it to make ends meet. I can't afford to be out this money and stuck with a lens I can't use! I have never had a problem with B&H before and heaven knows I've spent a ton of money there in the past!

So, is Tom F. the guy I should ask to speak with or do you recommend someone else? Thank you for any suggestions!!

Denise

Sorry I don't have anyone specific to recommend to you, but I just wanted to reassure you not to panic! B+H is a professional and reputable company in my experience and I have no doubt they will make it right. Unfortunately these types of things happen sometimes so I doubt you are the first person to receive the wrong item.

So relax and wait until Sunday. Then give Tom a call back and explain the situation. I'm sure everything will work out!

Stephen

PS - Good to see you back on the site and back into photography again!

Thanks, Stephen. I hope all turns out well. I have never had a problem with them before but I've never had a situation like this happen either. Fingers crossed it works out!

I agree completely with Stephen. I have purchased many items from B&H with nothing but good experiences and I really have no doubt they will work this out for you quickly and professionally. I do not know a specific contact person but I believe you have no worries.

Keep us posted. But I have also returned a few different items to B&H. Unless I hear different in your case, they are one of the better companies to deal with. Not sure why they asked for the pictures. But I will be surprised if they give you a problem.

And if you experience any additional issues with the return, please let us know. I don't expect you will, but... we'll get our own B&H representative involved if required.

The only reason I can think they want pictures is to make sure the lens with the incorrect serial number looks new, not old and grimy, and you're doing a switcheroo. With a new condition lens I think it will all work out fine.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

One thing to point out that you may not be aware of: B&H's owners are Jewish, and honor their religion by practicing Shabbat (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat) . This happens every Friday from a few minutes before Sunset until three stars are in the sky on Saturday. It's the reason that the shopping cart functionality is (or at least was) disabled during these times. You may have caught an email from someone minutes before they left work, and even though you replied "immediately", it's in the queue awaiting them tomorrow. If you ever get to visit the store, it's a sight to see with at least half of the staff in religious-appropriate attire.

I try to support my local brick & mortar store with in-stock purchases that are priced comparable with B&H. Anything else, I try to give B&H the biz because I respect their work/life balance commitment. (Being local to the Seattle area, Amazon does exert a certain influence on my shopping, especially with Prime shipping often faster than B&H across the country...but I still give B&H a a fair shake.)
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Denise,
    I have always done this by calling and talking to a person. They have always been great to work with. A couple of times it has even been just that I decided I did not like what I purchased. They have always responded with a full refund or replacement.
    I'm sure you will find the same when you talk with them tomorrow.
    Mark

Thanks, guys! I too have dealt with them for many years, including returns and exchanges with no problems. The asking me for photos is what got me worried, thinking what if they don't believe me that I am being totally honest with what I received.

I wish I could have called him from the beginning but I was at work all day on Friday and even had to have my daughter take the pictures and send them. Hopefully, all gets straightened out tomorrow when I call as soon as they open. I will keep you posted ... and thank you for calming my frazzled nerves!