Thread: Breaththrough Filters

Breaththrough Filters

I am looking at a newer source of filters

BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGY

especially the the UV for lens protection.
    I am not usually a UV filter uses but I just purchased 4 new lenses and am looking at protecting my investment.
    I want no degradation of image quality.

I am interested specifically in anyone who has researched this brand.

Thank you

There is a thread on CR about the company, you might go check it out. I do not remember the thread being a positive for the company, but then many threads on CR are not positive.

Personally if I were still using filters I would stick with a quality B+W filter. Time tested and they have been around a while.

But, I run naked anymore. No filter protection for me.

I recently supported their kickstarter for circular polarizers. Recently received two c-pols (77 & 82mm) but I haven't shot much with them yet. They seem very well constructed (similar to my B+W filters). Supposedly they have less color cast than other filters, but I have yet to do any testing to verify the claim. Their customer service seems pretty good to me, especially considering it was a kickstarter product. I ordered a 105mm as well, but they are not completed yet, so I asked my other filters to ship first. Got a fast response (<12hrs) and just had to pay the incremental extra shipping. They then shipped out the same day with a tracking number provided. I thought that was pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with them again.

I don't have any of their UV filters though, so I can't comment specifically on those. But let me know if you have any other specific questions regarding the c-pols or my specific dealings with the company.

Stephen

I picked up their 10 stop ND filter. Well constructed, much truer colors.

But for front element protection, I still use B+W UV (010) or, more recently, clear filters (007).

Hoya are another brand, a division of Tiffen I believe, that always do well in comparison tests of different manufacturers. Typically cost considerably less as well.
    As I always shoot with a hood on, or a filter holder, I no longer keep a filter on my lens.

I just received a breakthrough x4 cpl from their Kickstarter. Haven't used it yet but the construction appears sound. I like the grip on the outside of the filter. I can also confirm that b+w uv or clear protection filters work well. Bought those before breakthrough was around and haven't seen a need to replace them.