Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Step up rings

  1. #1
    Senior Member iND's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ST LOUIS
    Posts
    400

    Step up rings

    I am looking for a set of brass step up rings.
    I would like to make use of a larger variable ND filter on more lenses and need to do quick changes and cant risk getting things stuck with the aluminum brand.
    Any suggestions. I would like a set.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Kayaker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    4,540
    Quick look but the options for brass on B&H would be Sensei or Heliopan. Not that much more expensive than the aluminum B+W step up rings that I bought. I also have filter wrenches, but probably should pack those more often.

    I can't speak to either Sensei or Heliopan personally. But I'd be interested in hear what you think after you've bought yours.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    466
    Another option is to look at using one of the filter holder systems that will accept a large CPL or rotate a square CPL filter. Once the mounts are on the lenses it is very quick to switch the holder back and forth. Not having to deal with the threading on and off of step up rings when the action is happening is an experience every one should be able to have.

  4. #4
    Senior Member iND's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ST LOUIS
    Posts
    400
    I have the Lee Holder System for the Big Stopper (10 stops)
    But I still need step up rings for smaller lenses to adapt it.
    Is there some other system that I have not investigated?

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Kayaker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    I have the Lee Holder System for the Big Stopper (10 stops)
    But I still need step up rings for smaller lenses to adapt it.
    Is there some other system that I have not investigated?
    Step up rings or just buying multiple adapter rings, which is what I've done. I have the 77 mm and 82 mm adapter rings for my filter holder system.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    466
    Some of my prime lenses have smaller threads. I just use step up adaptors to work with one of my 77mm Lee adaptor rings when I want to use them. As I already had them from when I used screw on filters it seemed like a no-brainer to me to still use them. Once you have the Lee mounting rings on your lenses the change over time to move the filter holder from one to the other is much shorter than using threaded components.

  7. #7
    Senior Member conropl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Some of my prime lenses have smaller threads. I just use step up adaptors to work with one of my 77mm Lee adaptor rings when I want to use them. As I already had them from when I used screw on filters it seemed like a no-brainer to me to still use them. Once you have the Lee mounting rings on your lenses the change over time to move the filter holder from one to the other is much shorter than using threaded components.
    Do you not put caps on your lenses?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

  8. #8
    Administrator Sean Setters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,345
    Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Do you not put caps on your lenses?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    If you want to leave a step-up ring attached, just buy a larger corresponding lens cap. :-)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    466
    When I am shooting at an event where I need to have the filter mounting rings on the lens for quick change I use some black ABS end caps that I bored out a bit to fit snugly over the dovetail when I am putting them into a gear bag. Sure I could have bought some, they are sold at a fairly high price, but when I can make them out of bits and pieces laying around in just a few minutes there doesn't seem to be much point to spending the money.
    I am also frequently found with two cameras strapped to my body at which point I don't use lens caps as I am going for the faster access. I pay extra attention to where I am walking then to avoid banging up gear. It has been working rather well for me over the years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •