Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 - Image of the Week #13

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Winding Road

2015_11_13_14639_LR_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr
    Thanks for viewing.
    Dave
    That is a beautiful scene Dave. Where is this at?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    "Grackle"

1DX 500mm ISO 1600 1/400 4.0
    Hi Joel. Where I live we have grackles all over the place. None of them look as good as this one here. Most of ours are mangy, missing feathers and/or feet, and generally look sickly. Now I know what they are supposed to look like - nice shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Mr. Smith, that is great timing!
    Thanks Jayson! I spent years shooting my kids sports activities with a T1i and had to develop timing from that.

Oh, Mr. Smith is my father, here I'm Wes.
    Last edited by wsmith96; 03-29-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmith96 View Post
    That is a beautiful scene Dave. Where is this at?
    Thank you! This was taken from the island of St. Kitts.

The swimming photo is fantastic, perfect timing.

Dave

Spring.

[IMG]Jackdaw by Kari, on Flickr[/IMG]

It looks like the entry period is over. I will take a look tonight and pick a winner for week 13. Thanks to all for posting, and making the decision a difficult one.

Pat (a.k.a., conropl)
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Some real stand outs this week, but there must be a winner. I chose Sean's "My Neighbor" for a few reasons... It was creative, well executed, and a pleasing shape/form. But most of all, I have tried multiple exposures in camera and it is not that easy. My multi-exposure shots never turned out this well - which just goes to prove to me that the problem was me and not the equipment. There must have been a lot of thought that went into this and some trial and error to get it right. In the end I was just plan impressed with the skill level and understanding of light it took to make this turn out as well as it did.

I would like to say there were some really nice shots that were in the running as well. In fact, I do not think I have ever judged and there were so many on my short list to pick from. And that seems to be happening more and more lately. The other standouts that made my short list were (in the order they were posted):
    • wsmith's - "Anticipation". As others have said, great timing. It really made for a great shot.
    • cls - "Boat Fishing". Beautiful scene that was well composed. Very peaceful and relaxing... which is why I like landscapes (it's all about the feeling of wanting to be there).
    • Kombi - "Garage Session". I love the detail present in your shots. They are always well thought out and staged perfectly. This was no exception.
    • Joel Eade - "Lady Bug". Just a nice pleasing spring shot. I think blossoms and lady bugs together make for good wall hangers.
    • Dave Throgmartin - "Winding Road". I always like these kind of scenes, but hard to come across. It's a really nice view.
    • Sedwards - "Princess". Good perch, good back ground, and sharp photo. Bird photography doesn't get much better than that.

Congratulations Sean.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    But most of all, I have tried multiple exposures in camera and it is not that easy. My multi-exposure shots never turned out this well - which just goes to prove to me that the problem was me and not the equipment. There must have been a lot of thought that went into this and some trial and error to get it right. In the end I was just plan impressed with the skill level and understanding of light it took to make this turn out as well as it did.
    Thanks!

It definitely took some trial and error, but I finally figured out a couple of tips that helped me create the image.

1) Using a bright, overcast sky (one without a lot of color) as the background really helps (camera pointed in the direction of the brightest cloud cover). With the shot framed, overexpose the sky a bit but try to leave the subject as dark as possible (photographing a person with dark skin really helped in this regard).

2) Pick a second-exposure subject with an equally bright background, and frame the image so that the bright sky portions are flipped to the bottom part of your portrait so that the portrait fades into nothing at the bottom. This may require holding a gripped camera in an awkward way (meaning you may not be able to use the portrait oriented controls with the camera flipped opposite of normal).

Congrats Sean!

Really creative shot. One of those that makes me want to try something new.

Congrats Sean! (And good selection Pat – I would have made the same choice.)