Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 5D MK III help required

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    Well, did the shoot today and it went pretty well. My flash died half way through though but I still ended up getting some pretty good shots ... hopefully
    Glad to hear it went well. Sorry to hear about the flash. Would love to see some of the shots!

I'm no pro so they're likely pretty crap. I also learned that the 5D doesn't focus so well sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    I'm no pro so they're likely pretty crap. I also learned that the 5D doesn't focus so well sometimes
    Your "old" 6D does have a surprising benefit: ability to focus in lower light than a 5D3/5Ds/1Dx (and probably the rest of the line...I don't know how the spec measures up across the line). However, in sufficient light for the system to operate, I wouldn't call it a speed demon, but it's a well-proven system and I suspect there's a combination of settings that conspired to make your life less focused.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Canon 5D MK III help required

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    Your "old" 6D does have a surprising benefit: ability to focus in lower light than a 5D3/5Ds/1Dx (and probably the rest of the line...I don't know how the spec measures up across the line)
    The 6D spec is -3 EV, it's -2 EV for the 5DIII/1D X. One example of -2 vs. -3 EV is 1/15 s, f/2.8, ISO 51200 vs. ISO 102400. Personally, I don't think there's a meaningful benefit of that extra stop of sensitivity for typical shooting.

I couldn't work out if it was the camera or lens, or maybe a setting I had wrong. In the viewfinder it looked sharp but on the computer screen it was a different story altogether.

"it was a different story"