Trying to decide whether i'm going to upgrade my 50D to a 7DII or an 80D.

I have been (really) disappointed with the AF performance of my 50D. As in, blurry image directly under the active AF point in bright light with a fast shutter. Actually sent my body and some L-series glass to Canon and paid a premium for out-of-warranty service, and I'm still not happy. I think I must have gotten a bad copy of the body.

So I'm wanting to say goodbye to the 50D, and was about to pull the trigger on a 7DII, when I see the 80D specs here.

Now I'm stuck. I'm an avid hobbyist, shooting mostly my kids in action and portrait shots, with the occasional landscape photo. DSLR video will be a new thing for me, so I'm not sure whether the flip touchscreen will make a huge difference or not.

I'm most interested in whether the 65-point AF system on the 7DII will be substantially superior to the 45-point system on the 80D. And will the other differences in performance between the two cameras outweigh any advantage in the AF system?

Hoping Bryan will include lots of 80D/7DII comparisons in his forthcoming 80D review. I want to finally get my money's worth out of my 24 L II, 70-200 L IS II and EF-S 17-55 IS.