Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manfrotto Carbon Fibre tripod a "joke"?

Don't you get it at all? If you take pictures with equipment that doesn't use the latest technologies you're just simply doing that because you are incapable of doing so. In other words...you're an amateur. This guy got a valid point.

Alright sarcasm aside... I have met a few of these types in my hobbyist photo-"career" and most of them are paid long time "professionals" who can't handle the fact that some hobbyists do the same or even better with "lesser" equipment or hobbyists that use "professional" gear. Fact is that it is more accessible than it used to be. It's a shame that it happens and don't let it push you away from the scene.
    It happens in all kinds of hobbies. I see guys with beer bellies looking at my 6 year old aluminum mountain bike like it is rubbish, because their carbon 5000€ bike is much better. Might be, but it doesn't tell anything about how you can use it. (Same applies for tripods I guess)

Anyway, don't worry about it at all, the results and the fun of making it are the only thing that count. Enjoy!

Ps: I also have a "cheap" carbon fiber tripod and I love it

At some point he would have irritated me and I would have told him the truth.
    i am not a pro photographer so I can afford this kind of gear.

Being a pro photographer is a tough way to make a living and this guy probably is not to successfull at it. He felt it necessary to tear you down to build himself up.

There is nothing wrong with your tripod. If there were you would know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Absolutely!!! If I knew where this guy was gonna be next I'd show up with a Hasselblad medium format kit (rental of course) just for fun
    You assume he knows what medium format is, and is familure with Hasselbad.
    Keep in mind the requirement to be a professional photographer is that someone pays you. Equipment, education and skill are not mandatory requirements.

I've got the 498RC2 head and MT293C4 legs. It seems to be OK but I wouldn't mind something in the centre column to hang a bag from.

That being said, thanks to 2 of my photos from the event I've now got my first paid event this Saturday night at a restaurant function. Does that mean I can call myself a pro and slag off newcomers? oh wait, I'm above that

Oh well, it is best just to move forward and away from small minded people.

There is always a bigger boat, it doesn't make you a better captain or sailor.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    ...I was doing some ballroom photography on the weekend and a pro photographer saw my carbon fibre Manfrotto tripod and told me it was a joke tripod and not really good etc. I was always under the impression it was good, however it does get the shakes a bit (no centre column to hang anything off though).

So, are Manfrotto carbon fibre tripods really that bad? Or is this guy just trying the whole one up thing? He seemed a bit peeved when he saw I had a 5D MK III and he had the original and kept talking about it a fair bit and how I shouldn't own that kind of equipment unless i'm making money from it etc. Which is a shame, the rest were very supportive....
    This sounds like the kind of guy one shouldn’t care too much about. Now and then I cover the same events as professional photographers, and I’ve never got any similar comments about my (relatively simple) gear.

(In general, my impression is that experienced professionals are not too interested in gear. They already have gear “good enough” and seem to bother less about upgrading than about creating photos with the gear they already have.)

...thanks to 2 of my photos from the event I've now got my first paid event this Saturday night at a restaurant function...
    Congratulations!!!

I guess what he had to say did not matter in the end. Results is what matters... not gear.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

The pro must be doing a good job of demonstrating that gear doesn't matter. His ancient 5D will have more noise than a modern entry level Rebel, and yet, people are hiring him, despite the gear and his less than stellar attitude. Obviously he must be doing something right with *his* limited gear.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

That being said, thanks to 2 of my photos from the event I've now got my first paid event this Saturday night at a restaurant function. Does that mean I can call myself a pro and slag off newcomers?
    At the very least you should print it on a t-shirt Congrats!

I have no doubt he's good at what he does, but the attitude left a bit to be desired.

I'm used to coming on this forum and having everyone being so helpful and then... that. It didn't afect me too much but I did start thinking if I made the right choice on the tripod etc. That being said, I can't afford to spend $1k+ on a Gitzo tripod just to look pro.

I did notice however that the 70-200 without IS was going to be harder to shoot in low light than the IS, but that's another 2.7k I can't afford to spend