Don't you get it at all? If you take pictures with equipment that doesn't use the latest technologies you're just simply doing that because you are incapable of doing so. In other words...you're an amateur. This guy got a valid point.

Alright sarcasm aside... I have met a few of these types in my hobbyist photo-"career" and most of them are paid long time "professionals" who can't handle the fact that some hobbyists do the same or even better with "lesser" equipment or hobbyists that use "professional" gear. Fact is that it is more accessible than it used to be. It's a shame that it happens and don't let it push you away from the scene.
It happens in all kinds of hobbies. I see guys with beer bellies looking at my 6 year old aluminum mountain bike like it is rubbish, because their carbon 5000€ bike is much better. Might be, but it doesn't tell anything about how you can use it. (Same applies for tripods I guess)

Anyway, don't worry about it at all, the results and the fun of making it are the only thing that count. Enjoy!

Ps: I also have a "cheap" carbon fiber tripod and I love it