Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manfrotto Carbon Fibre tripod a "joke"?

Manfrotto Carbon Fibre tripod a "joke"?

Hi all,

I was doing some ballroom photography on the weekend and a pro photographer saw my carbon fibre Manfrotto tripod and told me it was a joke tripod and not really good etc. I was always under the impression it was good, however it does get the shakes a bit (no centre column to hang anything off though).

So, are Manfrotto carbon fibre tripods really that bad? Or is this guy just trying the whole one up thing? He seemed a bit peeved when he saw I had a 5D MK III and he had the original and kept talking about it a fair bit and how I shouldn't own that kind of equipment unless i'm making money from it etc. Which is a shame, the rest were very supportive.

So yeah, are the tripods bad? If so any recommendations for a more solid tripod? I went carbon fibre because I don't drive so literally carry all my kit on my back wherever I go (which gets old)

Manfrotto is good. Granted, Gitzo and RRS are 'the best'.

Sounds like he was just jealous.

I was hoping so, I was looking at Gitzo and... well, it's 3 times the cost of my Manfrotto. He kept carrying on about other stuff too like my lens not being "professional" as all professional lenses have IS etc and... I had a great day but that guy really brought me down

Consider – if he was sufficiently successful at his photography job, he'd have been able to afford the 5DIII instead of coveting yours.

Hahahaha that's a very good point and actually makes me feel better

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Consider – if he was sufficiently successful at his photography job, he'd have been able to afford the 5DIII instead of coveting yours.
    Absolutely!!! If I knew where this guy was gonna be next I'd show up with a Hasselblad medium format kit (rental of course) just for fun

Manfrotto Carbon Fibre tripod a "joke"?

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    ...like my lens not being "professional" as all professional lenses have IS
    I guess that means my 24-70/2.8L II, 85/1.2L II, TS-E 17L and TS-E 24L II aren't professional lenses. Bummer.

What a douche.
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 04-03-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Yeah he was having a go at my 70-200 2.8 non IS then started by carrying on about my Tamron 24-70 2.8, it was just a nightmare. One of the dancers even came over after their dance and asked him why he was trying to block my shots etc. He was getting paid for the event whereas I was only there by a friend who was dancing to go along.

all professional lenses have IS
    Baaaahahahahahahaha

So, the "big" "L" primes of 24, 50, 35, 50, 85, and 135 mm are not a "professional" lens? The EF 24-70 MK 1 used for years by Annie Leibovitz isn't a "professional" lens? The EF 85 f/1.2 II favored by .... everyone.... isn't a "professional" lens?

It's a bit hard to imagine a "pro" that ignorant, so that leaves that John's alternative......
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 04-03-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Hi all,

I was doing some ballroom photography on the weekend and a pro photographer saw my carbon fibre Manfrotto tripod and told me it was a joke tripod and not really good etc. I was always under the impression it was good, however it does get the shakes a bit (no centre column to hang anything off though).

So, are Manfrotto carbon fibre tripods really that bad? Or is this guy just trying the whole one up thing? He seemed a bit peeved when he saw I had a 5D MK III and he had the original and kept talking about it a fair bit and how I shouldn't own that kind of equipment unless i'm making money from it etc. Which is a shame, the rest were very supportive.

So yeah, are the tripods bad? If so any recommendations for a more solid tripod? I went carbon fibre because I don't drive so literally carry all my kit on my back wherever I go (which gets old)
    What a jerk! It appears he did not like you plain and simple.

The Manfrotto tripods are nice. Which model are you using? The 055 carbon series should have not have shake with a 5D3. Is the shake coming from the head or the clamping system?

I'd love a carbon fiber tripod, but it's not at the top of my priority list now. I'm using the 055XPROB aluminum version with the Really Right Stuff BH-40 screw clamp ball head. It's stable enough, but relatively heavy. Carbon fiber is much more resilient to shake than aluminum is.

I was using the Manfrotto 498RC2 head, but grew tired of their quick connect system and decided to buy a good Arca Swiss quick release system compatible head. I have a big part of my tripod money in the head!

Dave