Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on my first landscape shot from my 5Ds

Feedback on my first landscape shot from my 5Ds

I recently took a few shots of my grandfather in his ANZAC parade and went back to his house afterwards so I snapped a shot of the view from his backyard in Kiama, NSW.

I really like this shot but was hoping to get some feedback on anything I should change?

http://i.imgur.com/lI1Zfb7.jpg

I've just realised it has compressed it and it doesn't look right :/
    Last edited by Squidy; 04-25-2016 at 11:47 PM.

It's tough at web resolution to really notice a difference between 20 MP and 50 MP.

Dave

Agreed. Where is a good site to host it for full resolution?

What is going on with the sky?
    Was that because of compression?

I think it's due to compression unfortunately

Color banding....can be from JPEG artifacts or compression, also can occur from changing color sRGB to CMYK such that color transitions are not smooth.

It can be corrected by selecting the sky, moving the selection to a new layer and use the spatter filter on that selection (it's in the filter gallery) It is similar to adding noise but it smooths out color transitions better.

I shot in Adobe colour in the camera and converted to sRGB in Lightroom so that might be it. Will check out colour banding and see if I can fix it as I'd love to get a print of this one. Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    Agreed. Where is a good site to host it for full resolution?
    I like using Flickr. I only upload at 2,000 pixels size though!

Dave

Cheers, I heard Flickr was getting sold or something so I didn't start one up but will check it out.

Also, I just exported a full size JPG from Lightroom and it doesn't seem to have the (noticeable) colour banding, just when I squish it down to a smaller jpg

Not speaking to resolution - online is tough, and since jpg is 8 bit (I now have a 10 bit monitor and oof what a difference those 2 extra bits make) my comments are on exposure and composition.

Exposure looks really good - spot on, only if you were planning on lots of post production work would drift this to the right a bit (over expose and then pull down highlights to gain shadows) but there are few shadow elements to try to pull - if this had some animal in the tree shadows.... etc but it doesn't.

Composition to me is straightforward and uses the leading line of the stone fence enter the picture though think about ending it in the pic somewhere closer to 1/2 way it seems to cut the pic and the lower right gets lost.

If you wanted to do more post the wires running through the frame could be quickly fixed w/ a few clicks in photo shop.

overall very pleasant.

Happy clicks.

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911