Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens for 5Ds?

At 1/200s it could be your movement, his movement, or both.

I did AFMA the low-tech way. In good light (ie: a bright day), shoot a flat object next to a slanted one at typical a distance. A hardcover book and a meter stick at a 45 degree angle with a specific mark (ie: 50cm) aligned with the front of the book. Review on camera at 100% zoom. Judging from the slanted part, did it focus on, in front, or behind the flat object, where I focused. If it's off, adjust AFMA and and repeat.

Sure, it's not automated, but it didn't take long, and gave good results... I haven't tried to AFMA any zoom lenses though. Newer cameras allow for different AFMA settings for wide and tele ends of the lens. It *should* be as easy as doing the steps above for each end of the zoom.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I rented the "R" version and found that my technique had to be spot on to get the resolution the sensor offered. I did several multi shot panos and wouldn't lock down for each frame and relied on the tripod and shutter speed - 1/200 and several of my shots upon close inspection had camera motion blur from me mashing the shutter in a hurry to take the 200 frames.

The lesson - technique, technique technique - a gentle shutter, good support and faster than you think shutter speed.

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Well, I went out tonight and shot a band with the Tamron 24-70 and the focus was spot on for the most part so I'm pretty happy... The noise on the 5Ds though at anything over ISO 1600 is absolutely insane. I mean it's grainy as... Well, an incredibly grainy thing. This definitely won't be my go to camera for low light.

When scaled to the same size as the 5D3, the image *should* look similar, noise wise. But yeah, at a pixel level, it will quite a bit more noisy than you're used to. As noisy as a yucky crop body.

I love my noisy 7D2... most of the time.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Ahhhh ok, I was just viewing it in Lightroom, haven't done any scaling yet

Suspect that AFMA and perhaps using a tripod will help. One easy way to field test is to use live view to focus on a target. Turn off live view and focus on subject. If the distance scale shifts then you have a problem and know which direction to adjust.
    You 'blew the image up'. If this involved resizing the image what settings were used in what software? This could seriously affect things.
    Were the images printed? Were they sharpened sufficiently for the media in use? What was the PPI count? Different textures and finishes do want different treatments.
    Just a few other items to consider in the workflow where softness can creep in.

My recommended 'DIY' AFMA setup needs a printed focus target, a measuring tape, box and a chopstick or pencil.

Good morning! (Well it is here in the UK!!)

I also have a 5DS-R and an EF70-200 f2.8L IS II, and here's what I have learnt. The 5DS's high resolution put high demands on lenses and user and it shows up any weakness. I also learnt that pixel peeping can be depressing verses reviewing a printed image for normal review. But overall, I'm staggered at the image detail this camera and lens combination can achieve.
    Practical things I've learned with the 5DS-R:-
    I use the silent shutter mode to help reduce shutter vibration;
    Use the back button for focusing, personal thing, but for me seems to aid a smoother shutter press;
    I have also invested a good tripod, something else this combination, due to weight/size and resolution, demands.

Another element in this thread, is the live music, I also enjoy taking pictures at local music events, normally unsigned cover bands in local pubs where the light can be terrible. For this I enjoy the 16-35 f/4 for the wide angle if not the f/4 limit and the 24-70 f/2.8 helps with focal range and low light, but my favourite lens is the Sigma 50 f/1.4, which works well in low light and provide a great DoF to pick out an individual, although focusing in low light with the Sigma is often a slower affair.
    I've also got over worrying about high ISO and Noise with the 5DS-R, especially with live music. Yeah sure, if you Pixel peep - loads of noise! But I'm sharing images with unsigned bands, who are really pleased. Not once have I ever had "that's noisy" - I have occasionally had "I like the grain!!!"

No real advice in my post, other than try to develop a rock steady technique and be less sensitive about high ISO Noise!

I'm still learning, and this forum and resources have been a great help over the years.

PS - Happy New Year!
    Note to self, get out and shoot more!