Thread: asking about Canon lens code

asking about Canon lens code

Hi experts, few queries to have your explanation :

1. Which Canon L lens series is without lens code ( age ) ? no need to talk about manufacturing place in Japan, just age.
    2. Which Canon L lens series is with lens code ink printed and carved ? Are they the same all over the world ?

Thanks,
    abc123
    Last edited by abc123; 05-03-2016 at 12:24 PM.

I don't know much of the specifics myself, but you may take a look at this link: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...ens-Aging.aspx

That may answer some of your questions about canon date codes.

Stephen

@Stephen : yes , got it now. Thanks for that . My lens code : UZ0106 , manufactured in 2011 , Jan which does not match its serial # 2103213593 ?

I still need some help on the second question .

Thanks all,

abc123

If the lens has a date code, then the serial number will not indicate the date of manufacture. If the lens does not feature a date code, then the serial number can likely be used to indicate the approximate date of manufacture.

asking about Canon lens code

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    1. Which Canon L lens series is without lens code ( age ) ? no need to talk about manufacturing place in Japan, just age.
    As stated in the linked article, Canon started switching to 10-digit serial numbers in 2008, but it wasn't an across-the-board change. For L lenses, I believe they stopped putting date codes on lenses launched after mid-2010. For example, my 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS and 600mm f/4L IS II all launched after that time, none have date codes.

I think that lenses launched before that date, which have date codes, continue to have date codes even if they are produced after that date. There's one exception I'm aware of, more below.

2. Which Canon L lens series is with lens code ink printed and carved ? Are they the same all over the world ?
    Date codes for lenses I have (or had):

28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS printed on plastic
    100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS printed on plastic
    35mm f/1.4L printed on plastic
    135mm f/2L printed on plastic
    MP-E 65mm printed on plastic

85mm f/1.2L II printed on metal

16-35mm f/2.8L II engraved on plastic
    24-105mm f/4L IS engraved on plastic
    70-200mm f/2.8L IS II engraved on plastic*
    TS-E 17mm f/4L engraved on plastic
    TS-E 24mm f/3.5L engraved on plastic
    100mm f/2.8L Macro IS engraved on plastic

Based on that list (certainly not comprehensive, so this is a guess), it looks like they switched from printing to engraving in 2005 (28-300 is a 2004 launch, 24-105 is a 2005 launch). The 85L is an exception, since the rear element is so large, there's no plastic ring around it (it's a 2006 launch, but easier to print than engrave the metal).

Since all Canon's L lenses are produced in the same factory, I would not expect printed vs. engraved to vary geographically. It's possible that some lenses have switched from printed to engraved, although I have printed lenses produced well after 2005 based on date code.

*The 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II did change its labeling. The first production run had a date code (mine does, I bought at launch), but later runs did not. So for that lens, they did change mid-stream. IIRC, dropping the date code from that lens instigated the efforts to correlate the 10-digit serial number with production dates.

Hope that helps...
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 05-07-2016 at 01:36 PM.

@neuroanatomist : wow, definitely helpful , that is what I want. Great. Thank you very much.

Do not know why Canon is doing print or engrave on different lenses , this makes buyer/consumer confused .

Do not know why Canon is doing print or engrave on different lenses , this makes buyer/consumer confused .
    I suspect date codes really don't matter at all to most buyers, in fact I bet most buyers don't even know about them. It's just one more number stamped/printed on a product.

Yeah, it's more so that if there is a large number of defects on a certain line of lenses they'll know to make which set to issue a recall for, or that kind of thing, I would imagine.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L