Thread: The Sun

The Sun

Ok, first shot with a sun filter. And it's a rookie shot. But the thing that strikes me about being able to take this shot is that this star is 93 million miles away. And still it's this big in a shot. Large scale (understatement in the extreme) things fascinate me. We're soooooo tiny and insignificant.

Sun shot
    by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

If anyone is interested, this was shot with a handheld 7D Mk II and a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 Sport with a 2x TC and this filter.

www.amazon.com/Orion-07798-4-57-Inch-Aperture-Filter/dp/B00E3QH63G

After removing one of the spongy spacers, it fit perfectly on the end of the Sigma lens (no hood) and was secured in place with the thumbscrews.
    Mark - Flickr

Hey Mark,

Nice shot. What kind of filter did you get?

I used Baader Solar film to shoot these a few years ago.

Venus Transit 2012 -5351 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Venus Transit 2012-5277 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Thanks, Brant. I put a link to the filter I used under the image above. It's meant for a telescope, but with some very minor adjustments, it fits perfectly over the end of my Sigma 120-300 f2.8 sport (without the hood).
    Mark - Flickr

Ha. I am totally losing it.

I think your shot is underexposed, and leaving the hood off aren't you worried about moon flare.

But on the serious side this practice might come in handy next year on August 21st.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I think your shot is underexposed, and leaving the hood off aren't you worried about moon flare.

But on the serious side this practice might come in handy next year on August 21st.

I've been thinking about exposure. I mean seriously, what is the "proper" exposure for something so bright it'll burn out your sensor and blind you?

"Here's my properly exposed image of the sun. Oops!!! Sorry about that. I hope that didn't hurt too much."

I tried a faux HDR on the image above and it came out looking pretty good, although not very realistic. I've seen folks add color and really crank in brightness and so on. Can't say one method is better or worse than any other. Just a matter of taste, I guess.
    Last edited by M_Six; 05-08-2016 at 01:24 AM.
    Mark - Flickr

Managed to grab a couple of shots during some breaks in the overcast today. Not as clear as I would have preferred, as you can still see the clouds passing. Still, I'm glad I was able to get these at least.

Mercury Solar Transit by Mark J Photography, on Flickr

Mercury Solar Transit by Mark J Photography, on Flickr
    Mark - Flickr