Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off to Italy soon!

Smile

I don't know Corsica, so can't comment about it. Over the years I have been a tourist for a few days in Florence twice, and in Rome and Milan three times. All were enjoyable.

Florence and Rome have more visual impact than Milan, unless you are interested in fashion.

If these cities are new to you, it is good to remember that the famous sights are famous for a reason. See them, by all means!

For a few suggestions that are not at the top of the list in guide books, I found Trastevere an interesting section of Rome.

Santa Maria in Trastevere by Danny Watson, on Flickr

The Renaissance architecture is the main draw in Florence, but there are also some opportunities for photos from more open spaces.

Florence green space from Boboli by Danny Watson, on Flickr

Della grazie bridge by Danny Watson, on Flickr

[These shots from 10 years ago were with a point-and shoot.]

Of course Andrea is a regular forum contributor who definitely knows Florence

You can't go wrong with any of the cities you mentioned. Have a great trip!
    Last edited by Minerve101; 09-17-2016 at 12:43 AM. Reason: fixed broken link

Thanks Danny! Really nice input.
    I guess I only put Milan on the list because it's on route and I have been there for work last year, but had no time to check the citycentre. If Florence and Rome are better I'd rather focus on that area more. From your photos and googling the places I can't believe it would somehow not be great. It all looks amazing.

More Rome

Here are a couple of shots from the very popular tourist sites in Rome.
    Pantheon 2016 by Danny Watson, on Flickr

Trevi fountain 2016 by Danny Watson, on Flickr

No recent trip to Florence, alas.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Thanks Danny!

I'm really looking forward to it. As up till now we only have a plan for two days. Sunday we'll try to make most of the mileage by going to Switserland(8,5h drive). We'll stay the night there somewhere(probably around Brienz/Interlaken). Mondays we'll have to drive to Genua, Italy where we will take a nightboat to Corsica. The drive is still quite some distance, but we'll have plenty of time and we're going off the highroad and take some of the nicer roads through the Alps to test the brakes of our car(Grimselpas, Furkapas, Gotthardpas) then via Milan(not visiting) to Genua.
    So we will arrive on Corsica Tuesday-morning with almost 3 weeks to kill. So we're gonna explore and enjoy Corsica as much as we can without any real plans and when we're done exploring Corsica(if there's still time) we'll travel to the area of Rome and Florence.

Anyway definitely excited to go and these photos make me more and more excited

Hey, i actually live in Florence (a little out of the town, exactly).

The city is actually really enjoyable and pretty easy to visit, you can walk around all the historical centre in one day.

The classic places to visit (and to take some pictures) are obviously the historical centre (Duomo, Palazzo Vecchio, Palazzo Pitti, Ponte Vecchio, San Frediano, Santo Spirito) and all the areas around. Then, for the sunset, try to go to Piazzale Michelangelo. The best landscape of Florence is from there.

I dont know if i will be there but let me know the exact days you will be in Florence.

Florence, Art by Andrea Magnelli, su Flickr

Florence, Art by Andrea Magnelli, su Flickr

Statues in Historical Centre

Florence, Ponte Vecchio by Andrea Magnelli, su Flickr

Ponte Vecchio

Palazzo Vecchio, Firenze by Andrea Magnelli, su Flickr

Palazzo Vecchio

David, Florence by Andrea Magnelli, su Flickr

Back of Piazzale Michelangelo

Everlasting Sunset by Andrea Magnelli, su Flickr

Sunset from Piazzale Michelangelo
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

Thanks Andrea! It sure looks like a great place to visit. Since we don't have any solid plans I cannot tell you when we will be there(if we even get there).
    If we'll get there it would be in the second half of out holidays so say 1-10 October?
    I'll send you a PM for my contactdetails.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    Thanks Andrea! It sure looks like a great place to visit. Since we don't have any solid plans I cannot tell you when we will be there(if we even get there).
    If we'll get there it would be in the second half of out holidays so say 1-10 October?
    I'll send you a PM for my contactdetails.

Thanks!
    In those days i'll probably be a bit in trouble for work, but i'll let you know!

Jamsus

Thanks! So far we drove from Switzerland to Genova today. It was beautiful except for the part in Genova. Italians drive without rules haha

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5X met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    Thanks! So far we drove from Switzerland to Genova today. It was beautiful except for the part in Genova. Italians drive without rules haha

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5X met Tapatalk
    Go to Naples and you will learn the true meaning of "driving with no rules"

Jamsus

I haven't properly been in Italy, but I do have one photo I took in Italy:

Harbour of Genova by Jan Paalman, on Flickr