Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off to Italy soon!

Off to Italy soon!

In about 2 weeks I will be traveling to Naples, Sorrento, and the Amalfi coast. This is an anniversary celebration, so I'd better be paying more attention to my lovely wife than to my camera!

Nonetheless, I would welcome advice on any top photo spots. I expect to try for a mix of landscapes, buildings, and people.

I read with interest the thoughts about gear for Andrea to take to Ireland. We will be handling our own luggage on trains, so must travel light. I will take my SL1 with a Tamron 17-50 mm f2.8 non VC; possibly also the Canon EF-S 10-18 mm if space permits.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Danny

Sounds like a great trip! I've never been to that part of Italy, but it is high on my wish-list.

I understand photography is not the focus of this trip, but can I suggest taking a small tripod? Even if it is a table-top size. Good for night shots or longer exposures, but perhaps more importantly, it would let you get a few self-portraits of you and your wife without having to ask a stranger. Have a good trip!

Stephen

That one is one of the best part of Italy!

The lens that you choose are perfect - f2.8 should be enough!

Just a few reccomendation:

1) Pay attenction on public vehicles (for pickpocketing) because it's a turistic place, and pay attenction if you hang around in not crowded places for the same reason.

2) Explode eating Pizza. Naples is where pizza became famous, try it with "Friarielli" and the classic "Margherita" - look up to TripAdvisor for the best places. My last trip to Naples was 3 days. 3 days = 7 pizzas.

This is Pizza, and price is around 4-5€, max 6! More is just a tourist trap.
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

check out Rick Steves on the Amalfi Coast.
    Been to Rome, Florence, Venice, and Milan
    Never had a bad day in Italy

iND

Thanks to each of you. I won't be able to manage my usual travel tripod, but I had failed to consider a table-top tripod. Maybe it will find a way into my bag.

Andrea certainly proves there are great photos to be had!

We had seen Rick Steves' TV segments on Naples and on Amalfi many months ago while deciding on the destination, but good advice to review again.

Danny
    Last edited by Minerve101; 05-15-2016 at 04:14 PM.

I'm Back!

Thanks again for the advice.

Pizza in Naples was excellent!

Still processing but will post a few shots when they are ready.

Must recommend views of Vesuvius from Via Nazario Sauro in Naples, views of the Bay from Villa Communale in Sorrento, and views in multiple directions from the belvedere of the Villa Rufolo in Ravello as great spots to enjoy and for photos.

This one is of Positano from Via Cristoforo Colombo just a little down hill from the bus stop.

Positano
    by Danny Watson, on Flickr
    Last edited by Minerve101; 06-23-2016 at 03:11 AM. Reason: tweaked the barrel correcton

Hey, i don't know if you are already back home but i want a feedback!

Jamsus

More feedback

Hi, Jamsus!

Had a wonderful trip. I posted two pix in the picture of the week, but will post here also for convenience, along with a few others.

We had no trouble with pickpockets, but did see a plainclothes officer arresting one on the platform for the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii.

Pizza did not last long enough on the table to take a picture!

The Sl1 with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-VC) was a perfect size and weight, and this combo performed well. I don't think a better camera would have improved anything, just a better photographer. Table-top tripod permitted the fireworks picture.

Vesuvius with fireworks 2

Bay from Sorrento

Festival Piazza Plebiscito, Naples

Bay of Salerno

Thanks again for the advice,

Danny
    Last edited by Minerve101; 06-23-2016 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerve101 View Post
    Hi, Jamsus!

Had a wonderful trip. I posted two pix in the picture of the week, but will post here also for convenience, along with a few others.

We had no trouble with pickpockets, but did see a plainclothes officer arresting one on the platform for the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii.

Pizza did not last long enough on the table to take a picture!

The Sl1 with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-VC) was a perfect size and weight, and this combo performed well. I don't think a better camera would have improved anything, just a better photographer. Table-top tripod permitted the fireworks picture.

Danny
    Eheh happy about that!

The 100D is a really good travel camera probably will get one as backup body one day!

The pictures are very good and captured the essence of Naples bay

Jamsus

Since the topic is "off to Italy soon!", I think I can post here for my trip to Italy/France.
    In less than two weeks we will be going to Italy/France. We are planning to travel by car and go camping or take hotels/bnb's.

Any tips or advice for the area's that we'd like to visit is appreciated.

We are thinking of the following places that we might want to visit:
    - Stelvio Pass
    - A few cities, Milano, Florence, Rome for example.
    - The island Corsica. Have never been there, but it looks like a great place for us. Mountains to climb for me, good waters/beaches for the girl

So it's gonna be a little road trip with some longer stops. I'm looking at making some sort of route going from North to South over Corsica, boattrip to the mainland to Rome and then back-up Nord. If that makes sense. I don't think we will be going much more south than Rome.

Any input and experience is appreciated.

Jan