Thread: Canon 7D Timezone Setting Problem

Canon 7D Timezone Setting Problem

Went to a place that I have long wanted to visit, Lord Howe Island (LHI)

I had just left Sydney, Australia (Timezone +10:00) for Lord Howe Island (two hour fight north east of Sydney) and its timezone is +10:30. In order to make my geotagging work correctly I need to set the Timezone on my Canon 7D, but it's not in the list.

For cameras with a built-in or external attached GPS this is even more important, because it's the only way to have the camera display the time correctly.

The Canon firmware doesn't list all available timezone cities. This is most likely due to limitations in storage space (firmware).

Some manufacturers don't provide the names of the cities, just all timezones in 30 minute increments. While others provide a user defined timezone to allow for all of those out of the way places.

So my question is does the 7D II or 1Dx II allow for all possible Timezones?
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

It's still a list of cities on the 7D2, though there does appear to be some effort for odd zones. Several xx:30, and even a +12:45.

There isn't a +10:30 though, and you need to manually turn on/off daylight savings, as it doesn't know when it applies.

I'm surprised geotagging needs accurate time on the camera though.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    I'm surprised geotagging needs accurate time on the camera though.
    David thank you for responding. I'm surprised to see that camera's with an internal GPS have not address the problem. I thought that professional photographers would have noticed the error as they are the one's most likely to be in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry for the poorly worded post.

When you use an external GPS and a program like Geosetter to add geotagging to your images, you need to ensure that the camera time and timezone is correct, otherwise it's inaccurate. The reason for this is that the software aligns the image shot time with the GPS time, then it applies the location data to the image. You need to apply an offset to fix the problem.

In one case of forgot to check the camera time before shooting, I only realised it was wrong when I got back home and some of my shots of the inside of a building were shown as being in a river. I then go through the process again to apply a correction time.

With an internal GPS the camera time is always correct, as photos are tagged with UTC time not the local time. Photos are also tagged with the timezone to complete the shot time and date information.

The problem is that the camera will not display the correct time because it doesn't know your timezone.

Note: In theory a GPS could work out the timezone but the world keeps changing and countries, states and governments keep changing, so it would be a pointless exercise.
    Last edited by Raid; 05-28-2016 at 08:13 AM.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss