Thread: User experiense from TN panel monitors

User experiense from TN panel monitors

Hi,

Any of you using TN panel monitors for editing?

Would like to hear all comments pro's and con's with them?

I am very close to get myself 2xhttp://www.samsung.com/us/computer/m.../LU28E590DS/ZA

Since i use computer for gaming too that freesync is one reason to get this one.

TN is what is used in generic cheap monitors. The brightness and colors shift based on viewing angle... But there *are* different grades.

Some cheap ones you will see a color shift from the center of the monitor to the edges. These aren't good for much outside of office work. Most can hold their colors over a normal viewing range, although you often lose detail in the darks, the near-whites, or both. The acceptable viewing range, where you won't see color shifts, may be small, especially on a larger monitor. If you plan to review work with clients, in person, side by side, I wouldn't recommend at TN monitor. I wouldn't even consider a specific TN monitor without seeing it in person...

That said I'm not sure if 4K displays have gotten as bad as 1080p displays, with a long running race to the bottom price, picture quality be damned. Half the point of 4K is image quality, so there is a decent chance it's an upper end TN display. Then again, Dell's 27" 5K wide-gamut monitor is $3K (CAD... Dell's site won't let be visit the American version of the page), so you're definitely not looking at a premium display here. I'd find a store with one connected to a PC and visit the lagom LCD test webpage. You'll see if it loses darks, whites, has banding, or shifts color pretty easily from there.
    Last edited by DavidEccleston; 06-04-2016 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typo
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

One of the problem with nice ips panel screens is that they are too slow. Since editinig photos is not the only thing i do with the monitor.

Seems that i need to update only one of my two monitoris for now, due the budget restrictions ( yes, not paying over 1k euros for a monitor when i need 2 of them =))

I've used TN panels before and they're OK but I've gone to an IPS panel and the colour is far superior. TN is fantastic for light gaming etc but IPS is much better for editing (not so good for gaming though)

After looking many options i think i found a ok option for both gaming and editing purposes. And even the price is on the good side.

http://4k.com/monitor/a-review-of-th...s-led-monitor/

Freesync to support my gaming needs ok colors etc. to make photo editing.