Thread: Best color profile for Macbook Pro Retina?

Best color profile for Macbook Pro Retina?

Hi all,

I'm starting to get serious about editing and I've noticed that if I go through the display profiles in my Mac it makes quite a big difference to what's being shown on the screen. What is the best color profile I should be using? Should it be Adobe etc or something else?

I've done some searching on Google and can't seem to find a definitive answer. Also, I use a Thunderbolt display at home which I'll need to choose one for also.

I don't have calibration equipment, but many people do and most who use it swear by it.

Dave

I made my own profile for my iMac (a 2012, not the fancy new 5K wide-gamut ones).

First, I printed a picture on my Pixma Pro-100. I gave it a day to dry. Then, with the image open in PS, set to proof for the printer/paper combo, I tweaked the color profile until the image on screen looked as close to the printed image as I could get. The print is obviously darker, but I tried to get it otherwise looking pretty much the same. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a form of calibration I could do for free.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

For serious editing there really is no substitute for picking up a calibration device and doing the job properly. Just had a quick look on Amazon. Spyder and XRite ColorMunki are both running around $200 Cdn with some variability in pricing for same product from different suppliers. Compared to the cost of other equipment this is not so steep and will last you many years. If in business it is a legitimate expense.