Thread: 5DIII Compact Flash Card Pins

5DIII Compact Flash Card Pins

I have never had any trouble with any of my Canon cameras in the last 15+ years with the contact pins, or any other malfunction.
    They have never given me any trouble, and I only transition for updates that are life changing.

Suddenly with no known trauma I am unable to insert the CF card full in the slot on my 5DIII.

I am assuming there is a bent or damaged contact pin.
    I am unable to visualize the pins adequately from the opening.

My choices:

As I rarely (never) use the SD and the CF card together (reason can be explained later).
    I CAN survive with the SD slot only.

Or do I send in for repair? Which I guess with be about $300 when combining shipping, parts, and labor.

Attempt a self repair? Which in my hands could result in a nonoperational unit when I am done.

I don't like any of my equipment not functioning 100% but don't really need to part with $300+
    The part is less than $50. Do I watch a you tube video and take a chance?

Any advice?
    Similar experiences and outcomes?
    Sympathy?
    Is there any other reasonable explanation for the problem. (yes I tried multiple cards)?
    Has this been an issue with anyone else?

Thank you

iND

To access the card reader and pins is a significant disassembly. I would not attempt it. Send it to Canon.

Got to double check just because - 100% sure you didn't/don't have a mind freeze and have the card reversed? I have been known to do similar things,
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

The pins are very easily bent if a card was put into a bag without its cover on and anything blocked one of the holes. Have straightened pins before in cameras and card readers using tweezers. The students at work can be rather rough on equipment. It does help to use a magnifier with a ring light. An alternative is to use a fairly bright light, modelling lights come to mind, and a hand lens.
    As you are at the point where it can't be used there is not a whole lot to lose by having a look and seeing if you can do it. At the worst a pin breaks off. If you sent it in for repair they would replace it anyways.

The bent pin is now weak. I'd strongly suggest you send it to Canon. It is a $2500 camera, +/-, and a $300 repair is reasonable given the value and effort involved. They'll clean the sensor, but most importantly they'll perform lots of diagnostics that you'd never have access to otherwise.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Update

Was able to straighten the pin with a good tool, an LED light, a steady hand, and a magnifier.
    All in working order.
    Suspect the pin is weakened and will still send back to Canon for evaluation.

I think I've heard of someone who was silly enough to insert a CF card the wrong way and bend a pin.....but who was that guy?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...spx?News=13892