Thread: Lighting Suggestions for Daughters Wedding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Will the wedding and reception be indoors or outdoors? Do you have pictures of where the events will take place so we can get a better understanding of what might work best?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Will the wedding and reception be indoors or outdoors? Do you have pictures of where the events will take place so we can get a better understanding of what might work best?
    From what I understand - The wedding will be outdoors, and there will be a short reception indoors. Since the time of the reception is limited, we will then move out to the beach for an evening bonfire. I do not have pictures of the reception area, but will see what I can get.

I assumed any pic's during the wedding would be with on camera flash or no flash at all depending on the intimacy of the moment. And thought the extra lighting could be used for portraits and group shots afterwards. I will have the macro for rings, flowers, etc., and the need for extra lighting would minimal for that.

The portraits and the group shots I assume would be outside and is probably where I need the most help. This is called a "twilight wedding", but starts at 5:00 PM. So after the wedding the sun should be low. I like the look of back lighting (hair light) with proper lighting for the main light and fill light. Hopefully, I can use the sun for the back light and then augment with one to two lights.

I am just starting to think about this, but wanted to figure out lighting needs so I can get what I need and have time to practice so I do not screw this up. This is planning way ahead, but it does give me a chance to experiment... which is how I learn best. I have been looking at your shots for some time now, and I like how you leave some shadows but they are not to harsh and features are still clear (e.g., your avatar). I would also like to get some well lite group shots which I see as being difficult w/o at least a couple of lights.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr