Hi Pat,

Sounds like fun. But also sounds like you will be shooting in several different conditions. I am thinking that you might do best working with natural light given the bonfire and twilight wedding for candid shots and then the flash for indoors. Or maybe be prepared for a mix of flash/non-flash shots. Not to always be thinking of gear, but you might want to play with the 100 f/2.8 and 70-200 II to see if they let enough light in under "twilight" and "bonfire" conditions. They might. A few years ago I shot some fire dancers and looking at those shots and I did get some keepers at 1/60, f/2.8, ISO 3200. But I also remember wanting more light and throwing out a lot of shots as I tried higher ISO and slower shutter speeds. So you might consider something faster (85 f/1.2? 135 f/2?) and practice with it now. I think you have wider covered (24 f/1.4). Or maybe you feel good enough about ISO 6400/12,800 with the 1DX.

The other thing I would be prepared for is to be a little bold. For formal shots, tell people where you want them to be, how you want their hands and smiles. But, more important, even for a "journalistic" style of shoot, you still need to pose candids a little. Walk up to people, get groups together. You will know who is connected to whom so capture these people together for your daughter.

I think you can mix in both being the father of the bride and taking a few shots. But I would definitely do one or the other at a time. I like to have fun at weddings, so my camera often sits. But I try to make "rounds" about 3-4 times, every 45-60 minutes or so, and to capture major events. Also, capture the less obvious. The venue, the seats, the center pieces, a distinctive feature, etc.

Enjoy!