Thread: Temp Sensor on 5DIII

Temp Sensor on 5DIII

Well it works. Shuts down the camera at 61C or 142 F.

How do I know this you may ask.....

I did a time lapse of a thunderstorm blowing up w/ my 2 battery grip and FPS on the video set to .5 FPS (1 every 2 seconds thanks to magic lantern )

It consumed about the equivalent of 1 battery. And the total record time was 50 minutes though the video time was 50 seconds (30fps when played)

Any ideas on cooling the body/sensor? I can certainly start with a "chilled" body so 10C/50F or so put the lens on and fire it up before I take it outside to the hot/humid I would think the sensor would heat up fast enough to prevent condensation.

I could strap on a couple of cold packs to the back of the body once the shooting starts.

Thoughts??

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

If starting with a chilled body, or applying cold packs to it when it's hot outside, you may experience an issue with condensation.

Might I suggest just shooting stills (1 every 2 seconds should be fine) and using an intervalometer to avoid the overheating issue? You'll put more wear on your shutter, but the convenience might be worth it. Plus the recorded images will allow you to pan through the scene if you want, as the resolution will be much higher than with 1080p recorded video.

http://www.panolapse360.com/

As Sean suggests, an intervalometer is the better choice for that sort of capture, for more than one reason. Lots of options avaiable, I use a hähnel wireless shutter release that has a built-in intervalometer.

Thanks.

Playing around with spf and nd filters for longer shutter opening to catch the lightening if I am lucky.

1.5 second shutter with 2 seco ds per frame etc
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Playing around with spf and nd filters for longer shutter opening to catch the lightening if I am lucky.
    If you'd rather not depend on luck...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch?N=11250499