Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    Hey Peety3 thank you for you opinion!

I understand what you are suggesting but i'm not a professional photograpther and more less a professional wedding photographer, me and this girl are both friends of the couple and passionate photographers, but i will not buy things "only" for the wedding or for the purpose of doing weddings. What i will "build up" in a year probably will be in the perspective of using it for the photography that i use.

I won't get a 10-18 because personally, for traveling - i don't like that effect and i don't use it - i'm really fine with 18-135.

The fisheye will be in for fun pictures and because the classic ultra-wide angle will probably be covered by the other photographer. Okay, maybe it will not be on the body full-time, but i need to organize that with the other photographer

The 17-50 is an idea in general, so i will keep an eye on it.
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

I recently bought a used Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC for times when I want to carry my SL1 rather than the 5DIII. I have been quite happy with the IQ. Speed of focus has been adequate and accuracy very good. Minimum focus distance is also good. Probably an economical way to get to f/ 2.8 and still have some versatility of focal length.

Sample

Here is an example of the Tamron 17-50mm in fairly low natural light indoors. The shot is not great in many ways, but could give an idea of the lens performance in a setting like a wedding. Canon Portrait profile applied and DPP sharpening set to 2 out of 10. No other processing in DPP3 before jpeg conversion. Focal length 17 mm, Aperture 2.8, shutter 1/45, ISO 1600.

dressed by Danny Watson, on Flickr

The scene is some of the costumes on display in the Palazzo Real in Naples.

Quote Originally Posted by jamsus View Post
    1) I will need a second body, but i'll probably take another body - personally i prefer APS-C not for the price of the body, but for the lens price & the fact that i use APS-C with 100-400 for wildlife shooting. I'm not a professional and i won't be a professional so i prefer to stay in budget but be more versatile.
    I can see your reasoning, the advantage of APS-C is price and on the rare occasion when you are out of focal length you can gain a small resolution boost.

But versatile can be subjective. I could see how having fewer lenses because of price would give you less focal length. But the things you can do with a full frame make it more versatile in my opinion. Aside from the body itself having more resolution when a subject is fully framed and improved ISO for low light, you can also take full advantage of the creative side of many lenses. For instance the 35mm f/1.4 and its narrow dof. Personally if I were rebuilding my kit with limited funds, I would go FF and have fewer select lenses. Even if it were a used 5D II or 6D and last generation lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    ...Aside from the body itself having more resolution when a subject is fully framed and improved ISO for low light, you can also take full advantage of the creative side of many lenses. For instance the 35mm f/1.4 and its narrow dof. Personally if I were rebuilding my kit with limited funds, I would go FF and have fewer select lenses. Even if it were a used 5D II or 6D and last generation lenses.
    Bingo...a big +1 on this. I can't believe how many lenses just make more sense on FF than they did on APS-C/APS-H. I had a 50/1.8...never made much sense. Now we have a 50/1.2 and I love using it. Bought an 85/1.2 when were a mixed FF/APS-H/APS-C family...I can see the magic more on FF. Picked up a 35/1.4 and took it to photograph a neighbor singing in her trio at a nearby restaurant...spectacular. But from a perspective of a few select lenses like HDNitehawk said, I can easily see skipping the 85/1.2, perhaps a 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, and 135/2.

Nowadays I just can't imagine trying to work with a 17-55 on APS-C instead of 24-70 on FF, or even a 16-35 on FF. The optics are so much better than the 10-22, and I wouldn't want the limited range of 10-18 even if the optics were as good.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I had posted about the Tamon 17-50 because I thought most other forum contributors do not use this lens, and Jamsus mentioned it. However my advice would also be to strongly consider a FF camera. When I am not traveling abroad and limiting weight, I always prefer the 5Diii.

If I understood correctly, Jamsus already owns a good quality 24-70mm f2.8 (Tamron), a 70-200mm f2.8 and the 100-400 mm. These are not wide enough on APS-C for a wedding. but would make a great all-purpose trio on full frame.