Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two new EF lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Have to say...you're right. This is one hulking chunk of glass!
    Back when my wife and I were "just dating", she said to me about 6 or 9 months in that "you REALLY don't exaggerate". When I say that's how it is, that's often EXACTLY how it is. Best tale of that was when she got "serious" about bicycling, so she wanted to know what to have for breakfast before a longer ride. She knew what I'd eat but wanted more opinions. I said "ask around, but odds are, the answer you'll get will go like this: I have a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter. Actually, I have half a whole wheat bagel with the peanut butter on it." Sure enough, at least 70% of those she asked gave their answer EXACTLY like that, phrased exactly like that.

But yes, it's monstrous. It's a chore to pack because it's just so much bigger than so many other lenses.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Oops so much for a deal on a bundle.

Agree with brant. Was hoping for better charts. Will see what it does in the real world
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    But yes, it's monstrous. It's a chore to pack because it's just so much bigger than so many other lenses.
    Really, it's not that bad. In fact, it's a perfect fit in the Lowepro Lens Case 11x14 that I found in my storage closet (with the tags still attached!). IIRC, I bought it for the 70-300L but found the Lens Exchange 100 AW takes that lens with the collar/plate.

This is an older thread, but here's a good question for Bryan....

Bryan, you exchanged the 24-105 f/4 L for the 24-70 f/4 as your preferred walk around lens, I believe.

If the second gen 24-104 f/4 turns out to be as good, optically, are you going to switch back?

Definitely!!! I'm anxious to get my hands on this one.

Looks like the 24-105 II sacrificed sharpness in the center for slightly better edge performance. I will also say, I see less CA, and better distortion control. While both can be corrected in Post, I am a believer that everything done in post has some affect on IQ. Also, I was never impressed with the IS on V1. If that is truly up to 4 stops, that would be a huge improvement.

All that said, my 24-70 II isn't going anywhere. That is my general purpose zoom and I am loving the images I get from it.

Total disappointment, I don't see any reason to modernize - it isn't an upgrade in my opinion. Perhaps Bryan got a bad copy but the MTF charts suggest the non-event optically. Heavier, perhaps better IS, but.... Not much of an envelope improvement for the $$$.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I bought the new EF 24-105 mm f/4L IS II USM, but mainly because my ten year old EF 24-105 mm f/4L IS USM is broken. Now when there's a new model around, I thought I could just as well upgrade as trying to repair the old one, or get another of the same version.