Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two new EF lenses?

Two new EF lenses?

If the rumors hold, next week is going to be a good week for announcements. In addition to the 5DIV, we will be looking at an EF 16-35 f/2.8 III and a EF 24-105 f/4 IS II.

Personally, I am pretty set on lenses for awhile. But I am happy to hear about these two. Hopefully they are inline with all the other recent zoom lenses (11-22, 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 II, etc) that have been announced with top notch construction and IQ. I will say, again if the rumor holds, this also continues the trend of bigger heavier zoom lenses.

But, I expect these to be great and I imagine they will find their way into many photographers kits, just not mine unless I decide to shake something up next winter.

Honestly, I was hoping for more mid-priced primes with IS. A 50, 85, 135 & 200 IS primes would make me very happy.
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmayo66 View Post
    Honestly, I was hoping for more mid-priced primes with IS. A 50, 85, 135 & 200 IS primes would make me very happy.
    I hope I am wrong, but I think the response to 24 f/2.8 IS, 28 f/2.8 IS, and 35 f/2 IS release really hurt the potential for future "mid-priced" primes. Canon introduced those at ~$800-$850 and within 6 months to a year had to drop the prices by $200-$300 dollars (20-35%).

It looks like the 35 f/1.4 L II has held its price for about a year. Hopefully that will encourage Canon to release a 135 f/2 II (or 135 f/2 IS), 24 f/1.4 III, etc.

With all the recent releases, it certainly seems like a zoom centric strategy. Best hope is that with these last two zooms, most of the zooms are pretty current, or even if slightly older, still elite (70-200 f/4 IS, etc), perhaps Canon will turn their attention to primes in 2017.

Perhaps, but in a shrinking market, I wonder if Canon will focus on something that is currently non-existent. Some sort of new angle to drive sales. Such as a EF version of Nikons 105 f/1.4? Prosumer zoom out to 600 mm? Of course, I do not know. But it is encouraging that Canon continues to release 3-5 lenses a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Personally, I am pretty set on lenses for awhile.
    Blasphemy!

In fact, I thought was in a similar place regarding gear, at least for major purchases (i.e. not counting the new EF-M 28mm macro that I picked up a few weeks ago). The 1D X II looks great, but I'm not feeling limited by my 1D X, so I'm not planning on switching.

But...GAS is incurable. I could see myself being tempted by the 24-105 II if the IQ comes close to the 24-70/2.8 II (I am skeptical that will be the case, but hopeful).

I'm not at all tempted by the 16-35/2.8 III. Had the MkII, only rarely used it wide open. Admittedly, though...one other reason I'm not tempted by the new 16-35 is that I plan on picking up the 11-24L very soon, prior to a trip to the Loire Valley next month.

Two new EF lenses?

Ha!

I'll evaluate any lens that comes out. I am actually looking forward to it. I am going to be more optimistic and assume the 24-105 II rivals the 24-70 II and 16-35 IS in IQ. Larger zoom ratio, but Canon has been on a win streak and seems to be designing lenses with future generations of the 5DsR in mind. If true, I'll be a little tempted to use it as a travel lens but likely not enough to add it to my kit. In the end, having 70-105 mm would decrease the frequency I switch lenses but ultimately not change the fact I am traveling with a minimum of 2 lenses.

I could see the 16-35 III. Use it as a replacement to the 16-35 f4 IS and 14f/2.8. But I think size, weight and price will keep me from doing that. But we'll see. That switch could happen eventually.

Look forward to seeing some shots of your feet.

Waiting to see how that 24-104 II performs. Tempted to have it to replace my 24-70 tamron, which is bit of a let down in my experience.

A new 24-105 is needed. It is soft on the long end on the std resolution bodies.

If it hits the new res stds and around $1,200 or less it will snapped up.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I'm waiting for some test results and reviews on the new 24-105. My current one is by far my most used lens and I've been very happy with it. The new one will have to have some serious advantages to get me to buy it, though. On the rare occasions when I've been disappointed with the sharpness of a 24-105 pic, it's usually due to user error. Improved IS and focus speed would be tempting.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Perhaps, but in a shrinking market, I wonder if Canon will focus on something that is currently non-existent. Some sort of new angle to drive sales. Such as a EF version of Nikons 105 f/1.4? Prosumer zoom out to 600 mm? Of course, I do not know. But it is encouraging that Canon continues to release 3-5 lenses a year.
    How about a 400 f/5.6 IS? I would think that updating old lenses would be a potentially profitable market. I can't image someone at Canon thinking.....hmmm the Sigma 50 Art is really kicking our collective asses, let's give up on a good fast prime that isn't a f/1.2. But hey what do I know....
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.

I picked up the 24-70/2.8 II recently and have a few days left of my return period. I like the f/2.8, focus speed and IQ. But I also like the range of the 24-105, IS, and 77mm thread. Tough choice if the 24-105 f/4 IS II is going to improve IQ. I just need to decide which side is more important.