Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two new EF lenses?

Two new EF lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by EricPvpi View Post
    I picked up the 24-70/2.8 II recently and have a few days left of my return period. I like the f/2.8, focus speed and IQ. But I also like the range of the 24-105, IS, and 77mm thread. Tough choice if the 24-105 f/4 IS II is going to improve IQ. I just need to decide which side is more important.
    True, it is a tough choice. I would not fault anyone for either choice.

As for me, I will say my 24-105 f/4 essentially sat on a shelf after I bought my 24-70 II. I intentionally took it on a trip just to use it. But could have just as easily taken the 24-70 II.

For me it gots down to the extra dof control, extra light while maintaining shutter speed, distortion, and more pics that "pop" IMO. I do think there is an AF advantage as well.

I already have a complete set of 82 mm filters. So that is moot for me.

But both good if not great lenses. I am looking forward to see what the 24-105 II offers in terms of IQ.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 08-22-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EricPvpi View Post
    I picked up the 24-70/2.8 II recently and have a few days left of my return period. I like the f/2.8, focus speed and IQ. But I also like the range of the 24-105, IS, and 77mm thread. Tough choice if the 24-105 f/4 IS II is going to improve IQ. I just need to decide which side is more important.
    24-70/2.8 II is twice the price, without IS, less zoom range. My estimation says the 24-105 II won't have the IQ to dethrone the 24-70/2.8 II if it's half the price with IS and more zoom range. I'd bet it'll be in the neighborhood of the $899 24-70/4IS with respect to IQ.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I'm not at all tempted by the 16-35/2.8 III. Had the MkII, only rarely used it wide open. Admittedly, though...one other reason I'm not tempted by the new 16-35 is that I plan on picking up the 11-24L very soon, prior to a trip to the Loire Valley next month.
    So, as a former owner of the EF-S 10-22 and the 16-35/2.8 II, and a present owner of the 16-35/4IS, 14/2.8II, and 11-24/4, the 11-24 stays home a lot. The 16-35/4IS is my "first-alarm" lens on a 5DsR, and if I'm not shooting but my wife is, she takes it as her wide alongside a 24-105. If we're both shooting, I tend to consider whether 14mm prime is OK alongside a 24-70/2.8 II, and if so she gets the 16-35 (I tend to be a little more flexible with lens choice, plus I don't let her use the 5DsR except under well-controlled circumstances, so I feel comfortable "composing to crop" with the 14). The 11-24 is huge (quite a struggle to get it into a Shootsac, probably needs to be upside-down when in adjacent "lens slots" in our Lowepro backpacks or Pelican case, with adjacent lenses right-side up, extremely hard to get in/out of a Lowepro LensExchange case, etc.), heavy, just plain awkward, and seems to be a bit distorted at 11mm.

But trust me, my horrible case of GAS is about to flare up something fierce with annual bonuses getting paid out on the 15th. I've got my eye on some Profoto stuff, perhaps a Canon printer, maybe a 24/1.4II, and if Santa is really nice, just maybe a 200/2...
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    So, as a former owner of the EF-S 10-22 and the 16-35/2.8 II, and a present owner of the 16-35/4IS, 14/2.8II, and 11-24/4, the 11-24 stays home a lot. The 16-35/4IS is my "first-alarm" lens on a 5DsR, and if I'm not shooting but my wife is, she takes it as her wide alongside a 24-105. If we're both shooting, I tend to consider whether 14mm prime is OK alongside a 24-70/2.8 II, and if so she gets the 16-35 (I tend to be a little more flexible with lens choice, plus I don't let her use the 5DsR except under well-controlled circumstances, so I feel comfortable "composing to crop" with the 14). The 11-24 is huge (quite a struggle to get it into a Shootsac, probably needs to be upside-down when in adjacent "lens slots" in our Lowepro backpacks or Pelican case, with adjacent lenses right-side up, extremely hard to get in/out of a Lowepro LensExchange case, etc.), heavy, just plain awkward, and seems to be a bit distorted at 11mm.
    Too late...the 11-24L is on order and should ship out today.

I also previously owned the EF-S 10-22 and 16-35/2.8 II, and sold the latter intending to buy the 16-35/4 IS...but went with the TS-E 17 instead. Since I have excellent 17mm prime and the 24-70/2.8 II, and almost all of my travel shooting is done on a tripod, I'm not feeling like the 16-35/4 IS would add much to my capabilities. OTOH, I'm thinking the 11-24 will provide a rather unique perspective.

If I really need to 'run-and-gun' with a stabilized UWA, I've got the M2 and M11-22 (admittedly, a much slower 'gun' than my 1D X). I bring that combo for daytime walkabouts during business travel (the 1D X kit comes out at blue hour), along with the EF mount adapter so the M2 can serve as an emergency backup.

I'm not too fussed about the size and weight of the 11-24 – it may seem big and heavy, but it's tiny and light next to the 600/4 IS II that I carry around on briding walks.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I'm not too fussed about the size and weight of the 11-24 – it may seem big and heavy, but it's tiny and light next to the 600/4 IS II that I carry around on briding walks.
    Congrats on the new lens purchase! A new lens is always fun!

Don't want to hijack the thread, but you mention carrying around the 600 on birding walks. Just curious how you (and others) would use these large lenses on-the-go. Do you bring a tripod or monopod? Shoot any handheld as birds present themselves or do you have to take the time to setup a tripod every time a bird is spotted? For perspective, the largest lens I have is the 100-400 II so I'm curious about the logistics of the larger lenses. It would seem to me that if you are walking and looking for birds, that by the time you could setup a tripod to get a good shot, most birds would be moving again...?

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    Congrats on the new lens purchase! A new lens is always fun!

Don't want to hijack the thread, but you mention carrying around the 600 on birding walks. Just curious how you (and others) would use these large lenses on-the-go. Do you bring a tripod or monopod? Shoot any handheld as birds present themselves or do you have to take the time to setup a tripod every time a bird is spotted? For perspective, the largest lens I have is the 100-400 II so I'm curious about the logistics of the larger lenses. It would seem to me that if you are walking and looking for birds, that by the time you could setup a tripod to get a good shot, most birds would be moving again...?
    How I carry/use the 600 II depends on the season. I really only use a tripod/gimbal in winter, when shooting eagles or snowy owls – in those cases, I'm heading to a spot, setting up, and waiting...and waiting...and waiting. Outside of winter raptor shooting, I walk/hike and carry the lens on a BlackRapid strap (the left handed one, ever understood the point of a lefty strap for a camera, but it makes perfect sense for a supertele where you need to lift/hold with the left hand to shoot with the right). I have a monopod along in case I'll be staying in one spot for a while. This is me, from a while back on a blustery day at Sachuest Point in Rhode Island...

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post

Stephen
    I walk around with my Sigma 150-600S either holding it by the foot or cradling it. I've yet to shoot it off a tripod or monopod. Everything has been hand held.

It is a big lens. It does take some technique, and looking at John's set up, I might try something similar. But it is doable.

Interesting...thanks for the insight Neuro and Kayaker. I always thought (and to some degree read on-line) that most people only shot the superteles on tripods/monopods. That wouldn't suit my photo-habits as I like to hike and wouldn't particularly like to wait around in one place hoping something interesting would happen by. My wildlife/bird shots are generally opportunistic when I am travelling or hiking or just doing something else with my family. Only on special occasions am I able to predict a time or location to try for a wildlife shot (ie on whale watching tours or looking for puffins).

To avoid completely hijacking the thread...I'm going to be watching the release and reviews of both these lenses. I have the current 24-105L and 16-35L 2.8 II so I would consider upgrades to both to be welcome. Not sure I could justify any price premium, but definitely would consider. I also have the 5dIII so the camera upgrade will be watched as well. Potentially I would consider upgrading the camera and getting the new 24-105 as a bundle and selling my current versions. As for the 16-35 I would consider the upgrade or potentially changing to the f4 version depending on reviews (and of course new cost vs resale value of my current lens).

Stephen

Good point on the bundle
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    The 11-24 is huge
    Have to say...you're right. This is one hulking chunk of glass!