Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon announces the 5D Mark IV (and two lenses)

I never owned a 5DIII (except a used IR conversion) and I have been considering dumping the 7DMKII and getting the 5DSr but the MKIV seems better suited for me with higher iso capability and improved AF with all focus points available at f/8. I usually sit on the sidelines until used bodies are available....first time I have pre-ordered any new item

Joel, I thought you had a 1Dx as well.
    What does the 5D IV do for you that the 1Dx would not?
    It would have better ISO and I am sure equal to or better AF.

I wanted the 1Dx II as a second body to the 5Ds R for the ISO and speed. I pre-ordered it but canceled right before release because I couldn't justify it right now, not shooting enough. I have been occupied building my man cave. Once I get it built and have more time I think I would go the 1Dx II + 5Ds R direction.

I do have a 1DX and I am not really thinking the 5D4 would replace it but it has many of the important features of the 1DXII at a much lower price.

The following summarizes my reasons:

I like to have a second body for the occasional trips I take and I am curious to see the image quality. Who knows, I might return it.

The 7DMKII image quality is really good when the light is excellent but otherwise I wasn't that impressed.

The two biggies for me are : all focus points available at f/8 and I had wished from the beginning that the 1DX had more resolution so I like the idea of 30 mp (also why I am considering the 5DSr)

Other features (not in the 1DX) I like: the silent shutter mode, built in WiFi, GPS, HDR imaging, multiple exposures and intervalometer.

1Dx has 1-2 stops better ISO ability than a 5D3. I'd be surprised if a 5D4 can improve by >2 stops, enough to put it ahead of a 1Dx. On par, maybe.

My wife and I "share a pool of cameras": two 1Dx, a 5D3, a 5DsR. Her technical habits are too sloppy for her to use the 5DsR in most cases, so she usually gets a 5D3 and 1Dx, and I get 5DsR and 1Dx, though on rare occasions I'll take both 1Dx. Overall, it's been a great setup for us (with a trusty 1D3 as spare, serving time at my folks for an occasional bird photo), though I've wished I had another 5DsR as backup (but couldn't justify it in front of other lighting and lens wishes). 1Dx2 does nothing for me; maybe a 1Dx3 with dual CFast, but the incremental fps bump is of no use _to me_. Bring in the 5D4, and now I start looking at it as the potential double-duty camera: upgrade my wife's 5D3 to 5D4, and becomes a much better spare for a 5DsR than anything else we had. Oops, but wait, the 5D4 price is awful close to a 5DsR, AND I can't reuse my grip...now I'm back to a 5DsR (and steal the grip from my 5D3) unless/until the 5D4 price drops.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Other features (not in the 1DX) I like: the silent shutter mode, built in WiFi, GPS, HDR imaging, multiple exposures and intervalometer.
    FYI, the 1D X does multiple exposures (the setting is in the 1st camera menu). I could point out that it has a silent shutter mode, too...but that's about as effective holding a hand over one ear while firing one bullet from a machine gun.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    1Dx has 1-2 stops better ISO ability than a 5D3. I'd be surprised if a 5D4 can improve by >2 stops, enough to put it ahead of a 1Dx. On par, maybe.
    Based on DPR, I thought I was seeing ~1/3-2/3 improvement of the 5DIV over the 5DIII at ISO 6400. Using DXO data, I see the 1Dx/1DxII at about a 1 stop improvement, the 5DIV likely is closing the gap at higher ISO, but still just a bit off in terms of DR. In terms of other parameters (tone/color/etc), they all seem very close.

EDIT- If I were to guess, I suspect the 5DIV will slip right between the 5DIII and 1Dx I/II above ISO 1600, but exceed the 1Dx and be just below the 1DxII for ISO 100-1600.

Of course, this is just DR.
    Name:  5dIII vs 1Dx.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  101.2 KB
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 09-02-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    FYI, the 1D X does multiple exposures (the setting is in the 1st camera menu). I could point out that it has a silent shutter mode, too...but that's about as effective holding a hand over one ear while firing one bullet from a machine gun.
    Yep....I realized that after I posted.....my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Based on DPR, I thought I was seeing ~1/3-2/3 improvement of the 5DIV over the 5DIII at ISO 6400. As I see the 1Dx/1DxII at about a 1 stop improvement, the 5DIV likely is closing the gap at higher ISO, but still just a bit off in terms of DR. In terms of other parameters (tone/color/etc), they all seem very close.
    I just think it will make the best back up camera for me along with the 1DX not as a replacement or upgrade except for the fact all the focus points are available at f/8. For birders that is huge I can also see perhaps using it at family functions or outings where I would rather not take the bigger/heavier 1DX.

Also with the sale of my 7DII I can easily swing the price right now
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 09-02-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I just think it will make the best back up camera for me along with the 1DX not as a replacement or upgrade except for the fact all the focus points are available at f/8. For birders that is huge I can also see perhaps using it at family functions or outings where I would rather not take the bigger/heavier 1DX.

Also with the sale of my 7DII I can easily swing the price right now
    Ha...Don't have to convince me. My favorite article I've read on the 5DIV was taking the position that Canon made it too good. That it will be cannibalizing sales from C100/C300/5DsR/etc, maybe even 1DxII.

If real world tests come back as I expect, I honestly think it may be a near perfect "all around" dSLR (8 fps, few other very minor spec things). Which is what I suspect is Canon's intent. The "niche/markets": 1DxII--aimed at high frame rate and those that want the best; 5DsR--high MP crowd that want the ultimate resolution; 5DIV---Event/do everything very well camera. 6D(II)....FF entry level "do everything but not as well" camera at lower price point. That really covers the market really well. Sure people will find nits to pick, but those that own those cameras seem to love them.

As for those going with 2 body kits, I can see offsetting the 1Dx series with the 5DsR (like Rick) if you want the resolution, the 5DIV if you if you want more general purpose FF, or 7DII/80D if you want crop factor/smaller/lighter.

I actually would love to try out a 5DSr especially for the focus stacking macro stuff I'm learning.....eventually a used one will pop up at a good price