Thread: Canon announces the 5D Mark IV (and two lenses)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    No discount for the bundles?

That is a surprise.

5DIV = $3,499
    24-105 II = $1,099

Bundled = $4,599 (actually $1 more than the two bought separately)

24-70 f/4 IS is currently $899. Bundled is $4,399 (again, actually $1 more)

Has to be aimed at those companies that have been selling "White Box" lenses and cameras at a discount. Not going to happen if this pricing strategy holds.
    Yes, definitely a surprise. The 24-70/4 IS costs $750 in a 5DIII kit, so I suspect (but I haven't looked) that there are white box versions of that going for less than the $900 cost in the new 5DIV kit.

I wonder if this is a short term thing, and Canon will drop the kit prices (i.e. offer rebates or bigger rebates) faster than the body-only version?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I wonder if this is a short term thing, and Canon will drop the kit prices (i.e. offer rebates or bigger rebates) faster than the body-only version?
    That is a good point. It would almost be expected for Canon to try to wring as much revenue as they can out of the early adopters. As the dollar continues to be strong, I do expect discounts within 4-6 months. But it will be interesting to see the impact of this on the White Box "offers" and if Canon introduces an effective bundle discount at some point.

Getting back to the actual releases, the 5DIV is pretty much as rumored. I am impressed, an across the board improvement over the 5DIII. I was particularly pleased to see a slight drop in weight. The videos are standard release fair, but the DP microadjust does look interesting. But you have to shoot massive files to have that benefit.

However, playing with the numbers, I am not seeing anything that makes me want to run out and sell my 5DIII and throw in another $1,800. I am not sure at what point I will be tempted, but fortunately for me I checked this morning and my 5DIII is still taking pictures.

As for the lenses....$2,200 for the 16-35 III is not unexpected but also more than I am willing to consider. I am very interested in the MTF charts, but those do not appear to be on Canon's website.

Probably only a couple of weeks to a month until the reviews start rolling in.